strange problems editing transactions after migrating to new PC

Jack ostroffjh at
Tue Sep 10 01:31:08 BST 2019

On 2019.09.09 17:02, Jack wrote:
> I am in process of migrating to a new PC, so everything is newly  
> compiled from scratch (Gentoo Linux.)  Recently, I tried my first  
> monthly processing of my investment accounts on the new machine, and  
> found some serious problems.  I have now had the same issue with git  
> head 5.0 branch, 5.0.5, and 5.0.6.  I also have the same problem with  
> 5.0.6 on my laptop using the Artix Linux package.
> Starting with just one account, the OFX import seemed to go fine.   
> The first few transactions (all dividends) seemed to go fine, as the  
> brokerage account, fees (none,) and interest category (Dividends)  
> were all already correct (possibly from matching previous  
> transactions.)  Then I got one where the interest category was  
> _Dividends, and when I clicked on the interest dropdown, the cursor  
> went directly to the memo field.  The same happens clicking on the  
> fees dropdown or clicking in the Brokerage account field.  If I start  
> with the transaction type, and then tab through the fields, it skips  
> those three fields.  I've also noticed that when I click on the Fees  
> or Interest dropdowns, any amounts for those are selected, although  
> the cursor will also not stay in either of those fields.
> Now, to make things really strange, if I am at my laptop (Artix) and  
> ssh into the new PC, I can run kmymoney, and everything seems to work  
> just fine.  When I open that file working directly on that PC, any  
> changes I made over ssh are still present, but I still can't select  
> any of those fields.  At least that gives me a way to complete my  
> updates and reconciliation, but I can't think of anything that would  
> explain this behavior.  I have not yet tried using ssh from the new  
> PC to the laptop.
> I'm hoping that just posting this will result in my immediately  
> seeing what I have done to cause this, but I'm not convinced it will  
> be that simple.  Any suggestions for troubleshooting will be greatly  
> appreciated.
> Jack
I think I found the culprit, although it doesn't make much sense to me.

First, I had the problem on both my new box and my laptop, but not the  
old box.  All with 5.0.5, 5.0.6, or git head 5.0 branch.  Then I  
noticed that the new box and laptop both had libalkimia 8 but the old  
box has 7.  It turns out the upgrade for libalkimia was "forced" by the  
syntax of how Gentoo's ebuild specifies dependencies, and the Artix  
rolling model always upgrades.  (No, I'm not sure I really understand  
that Gentoo syntax.)  Anyway - if I ssh kmymoney runs fine - whether I  
ssh from the same or a different PC.

Final confirmation - I managed to downgrade libalkimia to 7.0.2 on the  
new PC, reinstall KMM (5.0 git head) and it works fine.

So - there is something about libalkimia 8 (or possibly qtwebkit which  
is a dependency of it) that somehow seems to affect the diabled state  
of some fields in the display.

Now that I can easily get on with my own end-of-month, I'll be glad to  
do any troubleshooting, if anyone can think of anything specific to  
look for.


More information about the KMyMoney-devel mailing list