Fork of KMyMoney

Łukasz Wojniłowicz lukasz.wojnilowicz at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 15:08:01 GMT 2019

Dnia niedziela, 10 marca 2019 09:32:33 CET Martin Steigerwald pisze:
> Dear Łukasz.
>
> Łukasz Wojniłowicz - 10.03.19, 07:48:
> > I've created a fork of KMyMoney which is available at
> > https://github.com/wojnilowicz/kmymoneynext
> > I will be covering my work on it at
> > https://github.com/wojnilowicz/wojnilowicz.github.io
>
> I wondered about the reasons of your fork and then found that you
> mention two reasons in your blog: long release cycles and keeping vital
> code in alkimia library¹. A long term goal of yours would be to port it
> to Android in the future.
>
> What I wonder now: Did you talk with KMyMoney developers, especially
> Thomas, about your plans?

I spoke two times with Thomas:
1) last year, shortly after 5.0.2 release,
2) this week, as I was ready with everything.

> Why I am asking this? I wonder whether what you like to do really
> requires a fork. There are already only a few developers working on
> KMyMoney and there is already Skrooge as another application in that
> area.

That's true. Workforce is scarce and doesn't encourage to disunite.

> I really wonder about the benefit of a KMyMoney fork. As a user of
> KMyMoney at this point in time I have no motivation of switching away
> from KMyMoney. From what I read about Android security, currently there
> is no chance at all that I am going to run such a sensitive application
> on it. The less stuff is running on it, the better. Even with AOSP
> without Google apps but F-Droid instead aka Fairphone OpenOS.

I do not encourage anyone to switch as there is little to no benefit at present
time.

> It is of course your choice what you do with your time, so good luck and
> good success in what you like to accomplish.

Thank you for your kind word.

Cheers
Łukasz