Fork of KMyMoney

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Mar 10 08:32:33 GMT 2019

Dear Łukasz.

Łukasz Wojniłowicz - 10.03.19, 07:48:
> I've created a fork of KMyMoney which is available at
> https://github.com/wojnilowicz/kmymoneynext
> I will be covering my work on it at
> https://github.com/wojnilowicz/wojnilowicz.github.io

I wondered about the reasons of your fork and then found that you
mention two reasons in your blog: long release cycles and keeping vital
code in alkimia library¹. A long term goal of yours would be to port it
to Android in the future.

What I wonder now: Did you talk with KMyMoney developers, especially
Thomas, about your plans?

Why I am asking this? I wonder whether what you like to do really
requires a fork. There are already only a few developers working on
KMyMoney and there is already Skrooge as another application in that
area.

I really wonder about the benefit of a KMyMoney fork. As a user of
KMyMoney at this point in time I have no motivation of switching away
from KMyMoney. From what I read about Android security, currently there
is no chance at all that I am going to run such a sensitive application
on it. The less stuff is running on it, the better. Even with AOSP
without Google apps but F-Droid instead aka Fairphone OpenOS.

It is of course your choice what you do with your time, so good luck and
good success in what you like to accomplish.

[1] https://wojnilowicz.github.io/The-Beginning/

Thanks,
--
Martin