Investment Account Import Issue

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Aug 19 18:14:21 BST 2019

On 2019.08.19 11:07, Brendan Coupe wrote:
> I'm running KMM compiled from the Master branch yesterday on Fedora
> 30.
>
> When I import transactions from my broker interest on CDs the activity
> is labeled as a Dividend and the category selected is for dividends.
> If I change the activity to Interest Income and/or change the category
> for the interest to  the correct interest category the next time I
> import from that account it does not match and I get a duplicate
> transaction with the default values.
>
> Is there any way to change the default values for the CD? I tried
> changing it from a stock to a bond but it does the same thing.
>
> CDs don't seem to have a home in KMM although all brokerage accounts
> that I have used handle them like stocks and bonds so the import works
> well (between the investment account and brokerage account) except for
> assigning activity and categories and matching on subsequent imports.
>
> ----
> Brendan Coupe

I have similar issues.  Sometimes my investment imports match something
that uses the categories I want, but often I get things like _Dividends
or _Fees, not just dividends intead of interest.  (I also wonder if
there could be a way to use alternate categories (such as "Tax deferred
interest" instead of "Interest") in specific accounts.  I've pretty
much given up and accept that I have to fix things every import.

Even though the tax implications (at least in the US) are different for
interest and dividends, and thing seem to be reported mostly correctly
on paper/PDF statementd and annual tax reports, they are often "wrong"
in OFX downloads.  I don't know if it's more accurate to blame the
institutions themselves, or the few companies that write the back end
software they all use to generate OFX.