yet another doc question

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 2 14:22:19 UTC 2018

On 2018.02.02 02:30, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 1. Februar 2018 18:45:40 CET Jack wrote:
>
> > On 2018.02.01 18:40, Jack Ostroff wrote:
> > > When I went to take the screenshot for the institutions view, I
> found
> > > that no columns except for the institution and account names were
> > > present.  This optionality seems to be new.  I seemed obvious
> enough
> > > to me to right click on the column header to add the other
> columns.
> > > When I went to the Accounts view, it also started with only the
> name
> > > column.  However, when I selected a column name to add there, I
> got a
> > > popup asking if I wanted that column to appear in ALL views.
> While
> > > this makes sense, why did I not get that option when selecting
> > > columns in the Institution view?  Is that intentional, or an
> > > oversight?
> >
> > I also note that I am asked whether I want to add or remove a column
> > from all views, when either adding or removing.  In addition, if I
> say
> > NO to the all column add question, the column is not even added to
> this
> > view.  That does not seem right to me.
>
> I tried the removal with having Sort Code visible in accounts and
> categories view. When I
> remove it on the categories view and answer No, it goes away but is
> still present on the
> accounts and institution view. If I then remove it on the accounts
> view and answer Yes, it
> will be removed from both, the accounts and institution view. So far,
> that looks ok to me.
>
> Adding in conjunction with No does not seem to work as expected.
>

> > Additional question here - what are the CC and Sort Code columns
> for?
>
> CC is for Cost Center and will identify if a cost center assignment
> is necessary for a split
> referencing a category. The view will show a check mark if the
> requirement is present.
>
> Opening the category editor (select a category, edit it) will show
> the "Cost center
> assignment required" option towards the bottom of the dialog. This
> controls the check
> mark in the view.
>
> The cost center stuff is not yet functional in anything other than
> the account/category
> editor and view. It is used in the new ledger code already, but we
> don't have that yet. So it's
> something for a future feature.
>
> Not sure, if we can easily remove it, since this will be a string
> change. Maybe, we can add a
> section about cost centers and that it is work in progress.
No need to remove.  I'll easily mention "work in progress"

> Sort Code is showing the content of the IBAN field of an account.
Is IBAN mainly a European thing, or more just not common in the US?  I
suppose at some future point, I might add a section about some of the
main regional differences that KMM supports.

As time is running out (and I have another commitment for the next few
hours) I'm going to try to stick to stuff that is important to change -
mainly things I think will really confuse someone if it doesn't at
least make clear that it has changed in 5.0.

I figure we will have a series of releases in the next months - a
combination of bug fixes, polishing new features, and then catching up
with the manual and the translations.  This is the main reason I am not
overly worried about not having the manual as complete as I would like
by freeze time - either end of day today or with a short delay if there
is anything we really want to include that is not ready quite yet.