unexpected payee showing up in investment transaction

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 31 17:32:56 GMT 2018

Hello Thomas,

On 2018.12.31 08:51, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> On Sonntag, 30. Dezember 2018 00:12:37 CET Jack Ostroff wrote:
>
>> I was looking through all transactions for a specific payee, and
>> found something that does not make any sense to me.
> >
>> The payee is the US Treasury, which I use to track my federal tax
>> payments.  The transaction was "Sell shares" from an investment
>> account.  The transaction has three splits (looking into the xml
>> file).
>> - The first split is for the investment brokerage account for the
>> amount of the proceeds of the sale.
>> - The second split is for the category I use for brokerage fees.
>> - The third split is for the account of the equity being sold,
>> including the number of shares, price per share, total value of
>> sale, but also has that payee.
>
> Could that be caused by some import operation?
Unfortunately, that transaction is from the end of 2017, so I don't
know for sure, but it was probably imported by libofx via direct
connect.  However, I have very few transactions at all for that payee,
so it seems unlikely to have been from an incorrect match.

>> Why would there be any payee on that sort of transaction and how
>> could it have gotten there?  Is there any way to remove it other
>> than manually simply removing it from the file?
>
> Does it go away, if you edit the transaction and save it back to the
> file (maybe make a little change and revert it again just to make
> sure it was saved to the data engine). The only idea I have other
> than fiddling with the XML file directly.
Unfortunately, no.  I edited the transactions, saved the file, closed
KMM, and reopened, and the payee was still there.  I also tried editing
the transaction in the brokerage account.  No change there, either.
Oddly, I see the "Go to Payee" in the context menu for the transaction
in the investment account, but I do NOT see it if I try in the
brokerage account.

I suppose it is possible that I was using a self-compiled version at
the time that had some transient bug, and I have a vague memory of
other cases where I've ended up with a payee in an investment
transaction that shouldn't have had one.  It still doesn't make any
sense though, but I do seem to find that sort of problem.