unexpected payee showing up in investment transaction

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Mon Dec 31 13:51:22 GMT 2018

Hi Jack,

On Sonntag, 30. Dezember 2018 00:12:37 CET Jack Ostroff wrote:

> I was looking through all transactions for a specific payee, and found
> something that does not make any sense to me.
>
> The payee is the US Treasury, which I use to track my federal tax
> payments.  The transaction was "Sell shares" from an investment
> account.  The transaction has three splits (looking into the xml file).
> - The first split is for the investment brokerage account for the
> amount of the proceeds of the sale.
> - The second split is for the category I use for brokerage fees.
> - The third split is for the account of the equity being sold,
> including the number of shares, price per share, total value of sale,
> but also has that payee.

Could that be caused by some import operation?

> Why would there be any payee on that sort of transaction and how could
> it have gotten there?  Is there any way to remove it other than
> manually simply removing it from the file?

Does it go away, if you edit the transaction and save it back to the file (maybe make a little change and revert it again just to make sure it was saved to the data engine). The only idea I have other than fiddling with the XML file directly.

> At some point, I suppose
> I'll see if there are any other investment transactions with payees in
> them, but that will probably take me a bit of perl programming to hunt
> through the file.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts on this.
>
> Jack

There is no way to happiness.
Happiness is the way ;) -- Thich Nhat Hanh