unexpected payee showing up in investment transaction

Jack Ostroff ostroffjh at aya.yale.edu
Sat Dec 29 23:12:37 GMT 2018

I was looking through all transactions for a specific payee, and found
something that does not make any sense to me.

The payee is the US Treasury, which I use to track my federal tax
payments.  The transaction was "Sell shares" from an investment
account.  The transaction has three splits (looking into the xml file).
- The first split is for the investment brokerage account for the
amount of the proceeds of the sale.
- The second split is for the category I use for brokerage fees.
- The third split is for the account of the equity being sold,
including the number of shares, price per share, total value of sale,
but also has that payee.

Why would there be any payee on that sort of transaction and how could
it have gotten there?  Is there any way to remove it other than
manually simply removing it from the file?  At some point, I suppose
I'll see if there are any other investment transactions with payees in
them, but that will probably take me a bit of perl programming to hunt
through the file.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.