Encryption Nightmare - I can't turn it off

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Dec 2 19:50:20 GMT 2018

On 2018.12.02 14:10, Brendan Coupe wrote:
> When I moved to 5.0 encryption no longer worked for me. I stopped
> encrypting my file and decided to wait since the developers were
> working on many issues at the time and I could get around it for the
> time being. At the time I was concerned that something in my system
> was preventing me from opening an encrypted file, it was not
> necessarily a KMM issue.
>
> Last week I decided to try encrypting my file to see if it worked. I
> have the old system which has been updated from Fedora 28 to Fedora
> 29. I also have a brand new Fedora 29 system.
>
> Encryption works fine. When I try to open the encrypted file with KMM
> it fails just like it did before. The error is: "Cannot open file as
> requested." The details are "Cannot read the file:
> /home/bcoupe/KMM/Coupes.kmy
> /usr/local/src/kmm/kmymoney-5.0-2018.11.28-09.48.21/kmymoney/plugins/xml/xmlstorage.cpp:148"
>
> This looks like the same error I was getting before. I can easily
> decrypt the file manually and then KMM opens it without a problem.
>
> I can live with an unencrypted file until I have time to dig deeply
> into this on different systems.
>
> The problem is when I uncheck "Use GPG encryption" in the KMM XML
> Storage plugin KMM still encrypts the file every time I save it. I
> have to manually decrypt it before I can open it.
>
> Am I missing something or is this a bug?

I'm not sure, but would you try doing a "Save as.." instead of a save,
and use .xml instead of .kmy as the extension, and see if that will
properly save a version without encryption.  I suspect that even though
you unselected encryption in the plugin configuration, that might only
apply to newly created files, and an existing file is saved using the
encryption KMM thinks is already applied to it (even if it happens to
be wrong.)  Note this is only a guess on my part, but if it works, it
might help point the developers to the source of the problem.