New OFX direct connect problem (BOA)

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 9 22:40:30 UTC 2016

On 2016.09.09 12:39, Jack wrote:
> On 2016.09.09 10:24, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
>> On Thursday 08 September 2016 21:00:19 Jack wrote:
>>
>>> I've been downloading transactions for my Bank of America credit
>>> card for months without problems, until a week or two ago, when I
>>> started getting "The file or folder eftx.bankofamerica.com does not
>>> exist."
>
> I'd like to know exactly where this error comes from, and which file
> or folder it can't find (or perhaps there is a permission problem?
>>
>> I just checked that data and get
>>
>> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
>> eftx.bankofamerica.com. 3600    IN      CNAME   eftx.ecglb.bac.com.
>> eftx.ecglb.bac.com.     30      IN      A       171.161.207.77
> yes, I see the same.
>>
>> which looks OK to me. Something is also responding there and says:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
>> <title>501 Method Not Implemented</title>
>> </head><body>
>> <h1>Method Not Implemented</h1>
>>
>> in case I send some garbage.
>>
>> The output of
>> https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=eftx.bankofamerica.com
>> also
>> looks OK to me.
>>
>> Can you turn on logging using the ~/ofxlog.txt feature?
> Sorry, I did and forgot to mention - no response:

> </OFX>
> response:
>
> Completed
>
> so it doesn't look like anything is coming back.  Doing a traceroute
> shows inconsistent results, but never a reply from the final host,
> although it could be configured to not respond to pings.
>
>> Doesn't mapping the account require to login to the bank? So in case
>> you can do that, the transmission seems to be working. I am also
>> wondering, which error is shown during 'Show error message'.
> No error from mapping the account, which I assume does go to the same
> server.  There is just this single popup with the error, but no
> button other than OK.
>>
>> Strange.
> Yes - that's why I was wondering if anyone else has seen this, or if
> anyone else can confirm they are successfully getting BOA credit card
> transactions through ofx direct download.
>
>> >  On the console, I see
>> >
>> > OfxImporterPlugin::updateAccount
>> > creating job
>> > Job finished
>> > Closing tempfile
>> > Tempfile closed
>> > Show error message
>> > Finishing slotOfxFinished
>> >
>>> which seems to show no response from the bank.  However, I have
>>> unmapped and successfully remapped the account (KMM OFX).  I have
>>> not yet tried wireshark to see if any packets are returning.
>> >
>>> Does this ring any bells for anyone?  I've also posted at ofxhome,
>>> and I suppose I'll have to break down and call BOA - they won't
>>> take any help calls by email except for statement requests....

Well, wireshark shows the entire transaction in 24 packets.  One of
them says "Client Hello[Malformed Packet].  Googling leaves me unclear
if this  might be a wireshark bug (shedding no light on my OFX issue)
or if there really is something going on such as some sort of SSL level
mismatch, perhaps due to a recent change at BOA.  (I don't think I've
updated any SSL or such software lately, but I'll have to dig.)