[Kmymoney-devel] odd backup error

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Apr 19 06:14:57 UTC 2015

Jack,

On Saturday 18 April 2015 16:44:38 Jack wrote:

> On 2015.04.18 09:11, Thomas Baumgart wrote:

> >> I think that gave me the answer, but I won't have time to test until
> >> this evening.  For years, I only ran KMM started from the start menu
> >> or an icon.  Recently, however, I've left those methods to start the
> >> distro installed version, and have a git version installed in a
> >> different location which I have to start with a script, from command
> >> line.  I suspect if I close that console, then the echo will fail
> >> because KMMs stdout has gone away.
> >>
> > > I'll confirm this after I test later.
> >
> > That would be fine. In that case, we need to use a different command
> > or mechanism to solve the problem.
>
> I can confirm this is the issue.  I had never noticed before, but if
> KMM is launched from command line, when you do a file/backup, it does
> echo a newline to the console.  If I put KMM in the background, it
> behaves the same.  However, if I then close the console from which I
> launched it, trying to do a backup gives a popup "Error mounting
> device."

I was trying to duplicate this behavior, but whatever I do to put KMyMoney
into the background and close the console will also close KMyMoney. I guess, I
will learn something new when you describe how you do that exactly. I am using
Konsole as the terminal program.

> Would the easiest change be to 'echo > /dev/null' ?  You might also
> just use the "true" command, but I don't know if that is present on all
> OSs where KDE runs.

I will figure out something, once I am able to duplicate the problem. I am
glad that we finally know what causes the problem. I had never thought of your
use case.

'Never underestimate the determination of a kid who is
time-rich and cash-poor.' -- Cory Doctorow: Little brother