[Kmymoney-devel] Feature request

Brendan Coupe brendan at coupeware.com
Sun Mar 2 02:11:17 UTC 2014

Roy,

I've been using KMM for many years. I switched from MS Money in 2005. I've
been in the user groups for almost that long and I read most of the
messages.

I think many of the questions that beginners ask are pretty typical for
anyone that is just starting with any of these programs and I don't think
double entry has anything to do with it. The term is probably confusing to
many if they take it literally (which it was when bookkeeping was done on
paper ledgers). In my case I'd call it almost zero entry accounting since I
download almost all of my transactions from my banks using OFX connect in
KMM. One click every day or two and everything is up to date a minute
later. I'm in the US and most of my banks can be accessed directly by KMM.
It was not this way when I started so be thankful.

Some of the basic concepts like transferring money between accounts when
paying your credit card bill and how to deal with all the categories with a
paycheck took a little effort to understand but once you get it they make
complete sense. It sounds like you have a good understanding of accounting
so this should not be an issue. If not there are plenty of people here to
help.

Aside form potential users being concerned about having to enter every
transaction twice, I'm not sure why this method of accounting is scaring
off users or you. When I enter a payment in my checking account that pays
off my credit card the payment is entered once by me (or via my online
banking download) but ends up in both accounts. It seems to me that is
saves a step compared to single entry accounting (if there is such a thing)
where I assume I would have to enter both ends of the transaction
separately. Single entry accounting sounds like a checkbook register for
each account with no link between them. If that's what KMM was doing I'd be
using GNUCash:-)

While you did not explain how Intuit was abusing it users I assume from
your later comments it is by forcing upgrades paid and making the program
worse. Have no fear, if you want to run the latest version of KMM you can
download and compile KMM as often as you like. I wrote a couple of scripts
a while back to automate most of this process and I'm usually running a
version that is only a week or two old. I can even add patches when one
looks interesting and I want to help test it. If you are running KMM on
Linux I'd be glad to share my scripts with you. Older versions were posted
on the userlist several years ago.

One thing I'm guessing Intuit does not offer Quicken users is the ability
to ask for features. I have been asking for new features for years and have
seen many of my recommendations incorporated as developer time permits. I
suggest adjusting the tone of your request if you want the volunteer
developers to consider your request and be ready to test the changes if you
want to fine tune how the changes work. I would just lower your
expectations if you want them to change the fundamental principles KMM is
based on. Even if you asked nicely I would not hold my breath.

*----Brendan*