[Kmymoney-devel] Feature request

Chris DeveloperChris at rebel.com.au
Sat Mar 1 23:47:12 UTC 2014

scroll down

On 2/03/2014 10:08 AM, Roy O'Kelly wrote:

> I will try the tool, but keep in mind that I did not try it because I read
> the evaluations and your website. Both prominently refer to double entry
> book keeping and that put me off. It would put off most consumers here.
> The US does not require me (a consumer) to use a double entry book keeping
> system for my personal records. I'm held responsible for the accuracy of
> my tax payments and how I do them is my decision.
>
> I'm not looking for a Quick Books replacement. I'm looking for a Quicken
> replacement. If AUS requires double entry then Quicken may not be a factor
> in your market. Here it is far and away the dominant personal finance
> manager and they have taken full advantage of that position. You are
> forced to buy an new copy every 3 years or your electronic download
> capabilities stop working. That would be bad enough, but they break more
> than they fix every 3 years and the quality of the product has steadily
> deteriorated.

It is for this exact reason I moved to KMyMoney. Unfortunately as you have
noted you cannot totally escape double entry jargon. as confusing as it is.
but you certainly don't need to enter the same information twice. KmyMoney
handles that and will automatically split transactions if you require it.

Personally I don't enter information at all (ok I do sometimes). I just
import my bank statements and credit card statements. Kmymoney handles the
rest :)

Unfortunately KMyMoney can't import my bank statements directly as they are
in an odd format and so most of my time is spent massaging them into a
standard format

Apart from that It's easy. So I suggest you try. and I for one would welcome
suggestions to improve it.

DC