[Kmymoney-devel] Feature request

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 1 23:57:27 UTC 2014

First - please keep all messages to the list, not to individuals.  The
next person may not remember to reply back to the list.  I was almost
done with this reply when the next message arrived.  (Thanks, Chris.)

On 2014.03.01 18:25, Chris wrote:
I'm only replying to one particular comment.
>> I'm very familiar with double entry and understand the purpose. I
>> confess I have not tried your demo, but the majority of complaints I
>> see from users seem to center on the double entry menus.

What double entry menus?  In KMM, when double entry bookkeeping is
mentioned, it is almost always part of explaining why things are as
they are - behind the scenes, not directly in the interface.  Not every
user does regular reconciliation against printed or electronic
statements, and even with that, having double entry enforced behind the
scenes can make tracking down a wayward entry easier, since money can't
appear from or disappear into nowhere.

If you have specific UI issues that seem to be confusing or
unnecessary, let us know.  We may not agree, but we will try to do a
better job of explaining why we think they are necessary.

To the later message - if something about our mention of double entry
has put you off, please suggest changes to our documentation.  The
underlying use of double entry is not going to change, but as Chris has
said - there is a good effort to hide most of the painful parts away
from the user.

Also note - we are not explicitly trying to compete with any other
software.  We (the team of developers, document maintainers, and users
who contribute positively to the discussions) are trying to produce a
great application which meets our needs, and thus also meets the needs
of many other real and potential users.