[Kmymoney-devel] Feature request

Louis-Philippe Allard lp.allard.1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 18:17:08 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Allan <agander93 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/13 03:49, Louis-Philippe Allard wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> because I am trying a lot to import data from a CSV file, I have
>> realized that i'd be nice to have the possibility to map additional
>> columns from the CSV file into additional fields in KMM.  For example,
>> the current import wizard doesnt allow importing transaction categories.
>>
>> The only fields as of now are Number, Date, Payee/Decription, Memo,
>> Amount, Debit/Credit...
>>
>> Categories could follow a hierarchical scheme such as for example for a
>> car:
>>
>> Car
>> ---->Gas
>> ---->Maintenance
>> ---->Driver's license
>>
>> Importing a transaction with the field "Car/Maintenance"  would import
>> the transaction and assign it under the
>>
>> Car
>> ----> Maintenance
>>
>> category..
>>
>> I thought I'd replied to this request but it seems I didn't, so apologies
> for that.
>
> Do you see this as an on-going requirement, or just an initial setting up
> need?  Where would the input file originate?  The reason I ask is that
> initially I wrote the plugin to import from banks, which would have no
> knowledge of KMM categories, so didn't foresee such a need.
>
> If you still see such a requirement, it would be as well to create a
> wish-list item on https://bugs.kde.org, so that it's not forgotten. At
> the foot of the bug report, change the severity to Wishlist.
>
> Allan

Allan, sorry for not repltying earlier.

If available, I'd use this feature often.  I normally enter the
transactions from our credit and debit cards as they occur, independently
from the bank statements, but as we got a huge backlog of round 1000
transactions to sync in the KMM database, I opted to import a CSV
containing all 1000 transactions.  The problem with this approach is that
unless you assign a default category to the payee in KMM, the transactions
will not get assigned to a category which will require you to manually edit
and assign a category to each of the 1000 transactions...

Again, provided the feature is in KMM, I'd rather open it with a
spreadsheet editor, add another column in the CSV file, add the categories,
then save it as CSV and import in KMM.  Sometimes, (more often than you may
think) a payee will have more than one category assigned to it... A good
example are those truck stops where you can fill up your gas tank and eat.

The possibility of having a Category field in the CSV BEFORE importing in
KMM would allow me to manually assign a category to a payee..