[Kmymoney-devel] Feature request

Allan agander93 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 20:31:18 UTC 2013

On 22/11/13 18:17, Louis-Philippe Allard wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 6:11 AM, Allan <agander93 at gmail.com
> <mailto:agander93 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/11/13 03:49, Louis-Philippe Allard wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>
>         because I am trying a lot to import data from a CSV file, I have
>         realized that i'd be nice to have the possibility to map additional
>         columns from the CSV file into additional fields in KMM.  For
>         example,
>         the current import wizard doesnt allow importing transaction
>         categories.
>
>         The only fields as of now are Number, Date, Payee/Decription, Memo,
>         Amount, Debit/Credit...
>
>         Categories could follow a hierarchical scheme such as for
>         example for a car:
>
>         Car
>         ---->Gas
>         ---->Maintenance
>         ---->Driver's license
>
>         Importing a transaction with the field "Car/Maintenance"  would
>         import
>         the transaction and assign it under the
>
>         Car
>         ----> Maintenance
>
>         category..
>
>     I thought I'd replied to this request but it seems I didn't, so
>     apologies for that.
>
>     Do you see this as an on-going requirement, or just an initial
>     setting up need?  Where would the input file originate?  The reason
>     I ask is that initially I wrote the plugin to import from banks,
>     which would have no knowledge of KMM categories, so didn't foresee
>     such a need.
>
>     If you still see such a requirement, it would be as well to create a
>     wish-list item on https://bugs.kde.org <https://bugs.kde.org/>, so
>     that it's not forgotten. At the foot of the bug report, change the
>     severity to Wishlist.
>
>     Allan
>

> Allan, sorry for not repltying earlier.
> If available, I'd use this feature often.  I normally enter the
> transactions from our credit and debit cards as they occur,
> independently from the bank statements, but as we got a huge backlog of
> round 1000 transactions to sync in the KMM database, I opted to import a
> CSV containing all 1000 transactions.  The problem with this approach is
> that unless you assign a default category to the payee in KMM, the
> transactions will not get assigned to a category which will require you
> to manually edit and assign a category to each of the 1000 transactions...
> Again, provided the feature is in KMM,

> ....  I'd rather open it with a
> spreadsheet editor, add another column in the CSV file, add the
> categories, then save it as CSV and import in KMM.  Sometimes, (more
> often than you may think) a payee will have more than one category
> assigned to it... A good example are those truck stops where you can
> fill up your gas tank and eat.

I've been looking at this, and it should be possible, with a couple of
caveats.

The point about multiple categories could be a problem.  For instance,
how would they appear on a spread sheet?  If they were extra columns for
the one transaction, how can they be captured in a way that KMM will
understand.

Secondly, the question of transfers I've not looked into.

Allan