[Kmymoney-devel] Import from GnuCash

aga agander93 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 19:49:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 22:40:08 +0530
CA G Rajesh <ca.grajesh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Allan.
>
> aga wrote:
> > Just a couple of questions, and a possible idea.
> > Are you able/willing to compile from source?  The reason I ask that
> > is that there might be another way to achieve your requirement, and
> > bearing in mind that developer time is very limited.
> No, I am not a programmer - sorry. I am a professional
> accountant/auditor.

Ah, that's sad!  Whilst I've written the CSV exporter, it still awaits
acceptance and incorporation into KMyMoney.  So, had you been able to
build the source, you wouldn't have had to wait for a new stable
release and availability in distros.  So, I'm afraid there is likely to
be some delay before it is available to you.

> > What I'm thinking of is that I have recently written a plugin to
> > export a .kmy file as a CSV file, and there already exists another
> > plugin to import from CSV, which allows the user to choose (within
> > reason) how to allocate the various fields, or even to allocate  a
> > payee field to be copied to the memo field, or vice-versa.
> Where can I get the csv exporter? Importer is available already.
>
> > So, you would import your Qnucash file, export to a CSV file, then
> > import that file as CSV, allocating the columns to your requirement.
> > There can be multiple columns allocated to a single memo field.
> Seems to be a workable idea.
> I am ready to give a try. Can you help me with the exporter plugin,
> please? I've already imported gnucash file ... and, waiting ;)

Sorry to raise and dash your hopes.  Also sadly, I think your original
idea is not that straight forward either.  It would not be a case of
just find and replace within an editor, as that operates on a single
field, where you would want to copy one field to another, which could
already have content.  In addition, within the XML file, the payee
field is not just the text content, but is a unique ID for that payee.

Does Gnucash have any other export capability?  Or, perhaps Scrooge
could import your file and allow export to .kmy.