[Kmymoney-devel] Questions about KMyMoney

Marek Laane bald at smail.ee
Wed Apr 18 16:02:03 UTC 2012

2012/4/18 Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>

> On 2012.04.18 05:37, Marek Laane wrote:
>
>> 2012/4/17 Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>
>> > On 2012.04.15 23:46, Marek Laane wrote:
>> >

>>> translating KMyMoney I encountered some strings I couldn't understand
>>>>

>>> Hopefully one of the developers can confirm my guesses - I just looked
>>> for the strings in the code, and tried to figure out the context.
>>>

>> Thanks for answers.
>>
> You're welcome.
>

>   1. "Returned Capital" - what exactly does it mean? It isn't "return on
>>> capital", is it?
>>>

>>> I only find this in the QIF importer, where it is a possible type of
>>> imported record.  My best guess, without checking on the QIF standard (is
>>> there one?) is that this is not "return on capital" which would be gain on
>>> investment, but literally "returned capital" or a repayment of the original
>>> investment.
>>>

>> Aha, I thought also it may be it but was in doubt...
>>
> It sometimes helps to look at the code and not just the strings, to see
> the context.

Yes, of course, I always translate both application and code open and it
helps a lot but didn't in that case what was the reason to ask. Besides, I
don't have any representative QIF file to check...

>   2: There was a bunch of strings "shares set to value in split of
>>> transaction" or "value set to shares in split of transaction" and so on.
>>> What does that exactly mean? What is set to what? Share isn't here like
>>> stock but rather like a part, is it?
>>>

>>> It looks like these are all within the consistency check.  There are
>>> comments in the code referring to currency, so this may refer to cases
>>> where there is a currency conversion, and the two values should be the same
>>> if they are in the same currency.  I know that doesn't really help with the
>>> definition - but I think the "value" is the value of that split of the
>>> transaction, and "shares" is either really a number of shares of an
>>> investment, or else just the value on the other side of the currency
>>> conversion.  I would have to understand the code better to be sure.
>>>

>> So you think "shares" are real shares as stock? Not shares as part of
>> something? It was my first reaction, too, but the syntax made me doubt...
>>
> I am not completely certain, but it is part of an error message during the
> consistency check, so it would still lead the user to look to the correct
> transaction for the problem.

OK, let's wait to step forward somebody with deep knowledge :-)

>   3. Also I couldn't understand "Average days". It seems to be connected
>>> to moving average but what exactly is "average days" you can change?
>>>

>>> This is only in certain report charts, and it seems to be the number of
>>> days averaged for the moving average.
>>>

>> So if I translate it approximately as "Days to count" it would be correct?
>>
> "Days to average" might be better.  You can see how this is used if you
> run KMyMoney, go to the Chart type Reports, and select the moving average
> report.  This string is on the Rows/Columns tab of the Configure dialog.
>  However, looking at this gave me some additional questions - so I'll post
> separately to the developers mailing list.

Yes, I saw it but shortness and ambiguity (at least for me) of "Average
days" just confused me.

> Jack

Marek Laane,
Estonian translator