[Kmymoney-devel] Questions about KMyMoney

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 18 12:12:43 UTC 2012

On 2012.04.18 05:37, Marek Laane wrote:
> 2012/4/17 Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net>
> > On 2012.04.15 23:46, Marek Laane wrote:
> >
>>> translating KMyMoney I encountered some strings I couldn't
>>> understand their meaning.
> >>
>> Hopefully one of the developers can confirm my guesses - I just
>> looked for the strings in the code, and tried to figure out the
>> context.
>
> Thanks for answers.
You're welcome.

>>  1. "Returned Capital" - what exactly does it mean? It isn't "return
>> on capital", is it?
> >>
>> I only find this in the QIF importer, where it is a possible type of
>> imported record.  My best guess, without checking on the QIF
>> standard (is there one?) is that this is not "return on capital"
>> which would be gain on investment, but literally "returned capital"
>> or a repayment of the original investment.
>
> Aha, I thought also it may be it but was in doubt...
It sometimes helps to look at the code and not just the strings, to see
the context.

>>  2: There was a bunch of strings "shares set to value in split of
>> transaction" or "value set to shares in split of transaction" and so
>> on. What does that exactly mean? What is set to what? Share isn't
>> here like stock but rather like a part, is it?
> >>
>> It looks like these are all within the consistency check.  There are
>> comments in the code referring to currency, so this may refer to
>> cases where there is a currency conversion, and the two values
>> should be the same if they are in the same currency.  I know that
>> doesn't really help with the definition - but I think the "value" is
>> the value of that split of the transaction, and "shares" is either
>> really a number of shares of an investment, or else just the value
>> on the other side of the currency conversion.  I would have to
>> understand the code better to be sure.
>
> So you think "shares" are real shares as stock? Not shares as part of
> something? It was my first reaction, too, but the syntax made me
> doubt...
I am not completely certain, but it is part of an error message during
the consistency check, so it would still lead the user to look to the
correct transaction for the problem.

>>  3. Also I couldn't understand "Average days". It seems to be
>> connected to moving average but what exactly is "average days" you
>> can change?
> >>
>> This is only in certain report charts, and it seems to be the number
>> of days averaged for the moving average.
> >
> So if I translate it approximately as "Days to count" it would be
> correct?
"Days to average" might be better.  You can see how this is used if you
run KMyMoney, go to the Chart type Reports, and select the moving
average report.  This string is on the Rows/Columns tab of the
Configure dialog.  However, looking at this gave me some additional
questions - so I'll post separately to the developers mailing list.