[Kmymoney-devel] Bug: Check number not saved

Fernando Vilas fvilas at iname.com
Fri Sep 2 01:21:49 UTC 2011

On Wednesday, August 31, 2011 22:31:32 Eric A. Bonney wrote:
> I have not yet got into the "Account" stuff yet, but it appears that for
> the items that are Income/Expense "Accounts" the opening Date, Last
> Check Number and Opening Balance are not saved anywhere in the database.
> This would make sense since these types of accounts would not "normally"
> have these items.

Income and Expense categories are accounts, per normal double-entry accounting
rules. The last check number is saved as a key-value pair so that the next
check number will be 1 greater. The opening date is stored as part of the
account. Lastly, the opening balance is stored when a MyMoneyMoney object is
created during the creation process, and stored as the first transaction
against the account in the kmmTransactions and kmmSplits tables.

> My guess is the Asset, Liability and maybe Equity will have these items
> saved.

They will, because they are accounts, just like the above.

> As a side note, the Opening Date box is not even selectable in KMM for
> and Income or Expense Category. As Fernando asked, should these items be
> cleared up on the dialog box? In the android port I am removing these
> items from the entry screen for Income and Expenses as it saves space
> and they technically are not needed.
>
> -Eric

Clarifying the wording may be in order. Generally, income and expense accounts
will not have an opening balance, etc. because they are normally zeroed when
closing an accounting period. The only exception that occurs to me is if you
were to start tracking using KMM in the middle of a period. You could probably
get around that by advising the user against it.

--
Thanks,
Fernando Vilas
fvilas at iname.com