[Kmymoney-devel] GPG key not found when trying to save a before decrypted file

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 27 07:13:04 UTC 2011

Dear Thomas,

Am Donnerstag, den 27.10.2011, 06:58 +0200 schrieb Thomas Baumgart:

> on Thursday 27 October 2011 00:40:56 Paul Menzel wrote:

> > using KMyMoney 4.6.0 and having used version 2 before I opened a file
> > being last modified using version 2 and encrypted. Then I edited
> > something and hit Ctrl + s to save it. A dialog popped telling me that
> > the key could not be found and that it is saving it unencrypted
> >
> > This is quite strange since it was able to decrypt it when opening it.
> >
> > The only way to save it again was to choose »Save as« and then in the
> > GPG key list the right key was displayed and I overwrote the file/saved
> > it under the same file name.
>
> That can happen depending on the actual version you have used before. The key
> (actually its ID) will be stored as part of the KMyMoney file so that the next
> time around it will be reused. Older versions did not store this information
> in the file which is now required. Using 'Save as' is what solves this
> problem, as you did.
>
> > Debian Sid/unstable with GNOME 2.32 is running on this system and I have
> > not yet tried anything else. I will update this message if this happens
> > again.
>
> Since you solved it, it should not show up again.

Actually I should have tested this a little better. It turns out I must
have missed a notification window telling me that the key could still
not be found. The following messages are printed to the terminal for
example.

        X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
          Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
          Resource id:  0x3a03985
        X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
          Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
          Resource id:  0x3a03985
        X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
          Major opcode: 18 (X_ChangeProperty)
          Resource id:  0x3a03985

So I found out that the file was not encrypted yesterday, because I was
not asked for password.

Trying »Save as« again and choosing a key I am told the key cannot be
found. The key expired some month ago but I extended the expiration date
using `gpg --edit-key`. That could be the problem since using another
(unedited) key no error occurs and encrypted storage works. Is a key
copy saved somewhere in KMyMoney so that there is still the old key?

Trying to add a new key the following messages are printed to the
terminal.

        kmymoney(24167): couldn't create slave: "Aufruf des Ein-/Ausgabemoduls nicht möglich.
        klauncher meldet: Unbekanntes Protokoll „“.
        "
        QFile::remove: Empty or null file name

Thanks,

Paul