[Kmymoney-devel] GPG key not found when trying to save a before decrypted file

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Thu Oct 27 04:58:58 UTC 2011

Hi,

on Thursday 27 October 2011 00:40:56 Paul Menzel wrote:

> Dear KMyMoney folks,
>

> using KMyMoney 4.6.0 and having used version 2 before I opened a file
> being last modified using version 2 and encrypted. Then I edited
> something and hit Ctrl + s to save it. A dialog popped telling me that
> the key could not be found and that it is saving it unencrypted
>
> This is quite strange since it was able to decrypt it when opening it.
>
> The only way to save it again was to choose »Save as« and then in the
> GPG key list the right key was displayed and I overwrote the file/saved
> it under the same file name.

That can happen depending on the actual version you have used before. The key
(actually its ID) will be stored as part of the KMyMoney file so that the next
time around it will be reused. Older versions did not store this information
in the file which is now required. Using 'Save as' is what solves this
problem, as you did.

> Debian Sid/unstable with GNOME 2.32 is running on this system and I have
> not yet tried anything else. I will update this message if this happens
> again.

Since you solved it, it should not show up again.

A sufficient amount of googling is indistinguishable
from actual knowledge. -- unknown source