[Kmymoney-devel] Re: Install into /home - Plugins not found

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Wed Feb 2 08:45:08 CET 2011

Hi,

can we please keep this on the developer list? TIA.

on Tuesday 01 February 2011 23:42:54 aga wrote:

> Hi Jack
>
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 13:21:08 -0500
>
> Jack <ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I haven't played with doing a local install recently, but I did spend
> > a lot of time at it, including discussions on the KDE forums.  I
> > don't know if I can help Allan, since I never had to worry about
> > plugins, but some of what I discovered might help.
> >
> > I assume you are not having a problem with getting the installed
> > files to go to the right place, but with that copy finding the
> > plugins at runtime.  Rereading your message, I see this is not quite
> > the case, but are the plugins that are getting installed to the
> > "wrong" place being compiled alone or as part of building KMM?
>
>  The basic problem is not knowing what is the "wrong" place, or the
>  right place.  Until recently, I've had parallel installations in /usr
>  and /home.  I'm restructuring the UI for the CSV plugin and found that
>  the 'old' UI was still being loaded from /usr.  Initially, I just
>  renamed that plugin and all seemed well - that is, until I uninstalled
>  the /usr version and found that my /home version was not finding the
>  CSV plugin.  In fact, although I did not notice it initially, now, on
> "kmymoney(27422)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers:
> KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType  "KMyMoneyPlugin"  not found", so it's
> not just my tinkering at fault, but more basic, ie. all plugins are
> missing, or rather not discovered.

Did you try to take a look at the strace output what the program/library is
doing while it's searching?

I usually go for a

   strace -e trace=file -o trace.txt kmymoney

and after I quit take a look at trace.txt. Be warned, it maybe a lot of stuff
that does not interest you in that file.

The only 'intuitive' interface is the nipple. After that, it's all learned.
 -- Bruce Ediger, bediger at teal.csn.org, on X interfaces