[Kmymoney-devel] Re: Install into /home - Plugins not found

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 1 19:21:08 CET 2011

Hello,

I haven't played with doing a local install recently, but I did spend a
lot of time at it, including discussions on the KDE forums.  I don't
know if I can help Allan, since I never had to worry about plugins, but
some of what I discovered might help.

I assume you are not having a problem with getting the installed files
to go to the right place, but with that copy finding the plugins at
runtime.  Rereading your message, I see this is not quite the case, but
are the plugins that are getting installed to the "wrong" place being
compiled alone or as part of building KMM?  In any case, I think the
problem may have to do with how KDE looks for things at runtime.  Some
of what an application looks for (more accurately, where it looks for
things) may be set at compile and install time, but others are based on
settings established when KDE starts up.  Some of these things can be
changed by altering environment variables or config files and rerunning
kbiuldsycoca4, but some cannot.

The example that bothers me the most is that if I install a locally
compiled version of KMM in my own area, I can run it and get it to pick
up most of the various bits and pieces, but not the new handbook.  The
mechanism for KDE finding a handbook gets set when KDE starts, and so I
could add my local area to the KDEDIRS path before starting KDE, but
then if I ran the distro installed version, it would pick up my local
handbook, and possibly some other pieces.

I'm still not certain this is related to the problem you are having -
but it sounds similar.