[Kmymoney-devel] Re: Creating Equity Accounts

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Sun Apr 17 10:12:09 CEST 2011

Hi all,

on Sunday 17 April 2011 00:54:30 aga wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:18:38 -0700
>
> Michael Garrison Stuber <garrisonstuber at garriber.org> wrote:
> > What am I missing here?
>
> I'm not sure.
>
> >  I need to create a new equity account.

My question here is why? Do you want to create this to keep track of some
shares? Then the approach you took is wrong. Please follow the instructions
Allan provided. In any other case, I would like to understand why you need
this so that we can implement it. Usually, the equity group holds the opening
balances accounts and those are created automatically.

> > I can choose equity account in the new account dialog, but when I do
> > this the "parent" hierarchy is blank.  Since I can't choose a parent,
> > the dialog box won't let me click finish and create the account.

I can confirm this.

@Allen: you don't see this because you have the 'Show equity accounts' option
turned off.

> When I create a new investment account, on the Parent page of the
> wizard, the first entry here is Asset, which is highlighlighted, and
> below that are listed the various asset accounts - checking, saving,
> investment. As I understand it, from experiment, one cannot have an
> investment account as a sub-account of another account, and Asset is
> therefore the parent.  So, I make no change on that page and the new
> investment account is created.
>
> Then, I select Investment view, and right click to add my new security.
>
> So, when you say 'the "parent" hierarchy is blank.', are you saying the
> Parent page is totally blank, without the top Asset entry?

Yes, because we would expect the 'Equity' top entry here, but that seems to be
a bug.

> If the file you are using is valid, I would expect you to have several
> Asset type accounts showing, otherwise?  You have no assets?  I get all
> the asset accounts as listed in Accounts view.

How many programmers does it take to change a
light bulb? None. It's a hardware problem!