[Kmymoney-devel] Security Purchases from an Income Account

Michael Garrison Stuber garrisonstuber at garriber.org
Sun Apr 17 00:56:01 CEST 2011

Greetings!
I have a set of account I track where income is paid directly into a
mutual fund.  There is no brokerage or sweep account.  KMM won't allow
me to use an Income account as the source account when funding a
security purchase.  This leaves me with two options:  (1) create a
imaginary sweep account, and then put in two entries for each purchase,
one from the income account to the sweep account and another for the
security purchase, funded from the sweep account; (2) use an equity
account instead of a sweep account.

At the moment I've opted for #2.  Of course the fact that KMM won't let
you create an equity account (see other email) makes this difficult, but
assuming you're willing to repurpose the opening balance account or edit
the XML by hand, it seems to work.

To me, both of these approaches are suboptimal.  Is there a design
reason that investment transactions can't pull directly from an income
account?

--
Michael T. Garrison Stuber