[Kmymoney-devel] Re: Decryption not requesting passphrase

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Mon Apr 4 21:26:50 CEST 2011

Hi,

on Monday 04 April 2011 18:16:31 John Le Page wrote:

> A great program which I started using about six months ago after Money 2001
> gave me very weird reports with incorrect totals!
>
> As I was familiar with PGP, I soon went to using the encryption option,
> which has been working fine until today.
>
> On startup this morning I found it did not want to open my file and that my
> Seahorse 2.32  was empty.  I had key backups which I restored into
> Seahorse and then the encrypted file opened ok but without first
> requesting my passphrase.   The problem is now that while the KMyMoney
> file is being stored with the right ascii armoured format under
>
> -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)    etc
>
> but KMyMoney no longer asks me for the passphrase before opening the file -
> it always just opens as soon as requested.

KMyMoney uses GPG for the encryption. It does not store the passphrase at all,
so I have no idea why that is. Do you have a gpg-agent running?

> I have tried switching off the encryption, saving the file again, closing &
> opening the file and re-saving it encrypted but still the file next
> reopens without the passphrase being requested!

What happens if you run 'gpg -d yourfile.kmy' ?  Does it decrypt to the
console w/o entereing a passphrase?

> Any suggestions?  My OS is Ubuntu 10.10  and KMyMoney 4.5.3.1 from the Clay
> Weber package.

I don't expect KMyMoney being part of the problem. Are you sure you open the
right file? Just to be sure.

When you say, 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows,'
people just stare at you blankly and say,
'Hey, I got those with the system, for free.' -- Linus Torvalds