[Kmymoney-devel] KMyMoney plugins creation

Petr Bravenec petr at bravenec.org
Mon Oct 25 10:08:02 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I wrote few articles about KMyMoney to Czech magazine abclinuxu.cz (what
KMyMoney is, how to use it and why to use it). I hope that this articles help
to make KMyMoney more popular in Czech republic. Now I'm going to write next
article about KMyMoney plugin writing. I want to create and describe simple
plugin: "Open file associated with this transaction in external program" in
the article.

I wrote simple plugin for tax accounting (i miss right english worlds). I
realized that plugin writing is not too difficult. My plugin is mostly
complete and working. I have some questions that I want to describe in the
planned article:

Plugins available here:
http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/plugins.html
have inner structure different from plugins found in kmymoney sources. Are
these plugins for KMyMoney version 1 or version 4.5? What should be the
structure for KMyMoney 4.5 plugin?

What about distribution? My plugin is interesting for czech users because it
makes some czech tax calculations. I dont know tax rules in different
countries. Should be such plugin distributed in main KMyMoney tree? If so, how
can I get the plugin to KMyMoney source tree? If not, how can I distribute
such plugin?

What about translation? Plugin is writen in mix of english and czech.  Strings
can be easily rewriten to english and translated in .po file (but I think that
my english is very poor when I have to write about tax). Where should be the
translation placed?

Is there some other things about plugin writing that I have forgotten?

Thanks for aswers

Petr Bravenec