[Kmymoney-devel] Re: KMyMoney plugins creation

Cristian Oneţ onet.cristian at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 18:39:29 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Petr Bravenec <petr at bravenec.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wrote few articles about KMyMoney to Czech magazine abclinuxu.cz (what
> KMyMoney is, how to use it and why to use it). I hope that this articles help
> to make KMyMoney more popular in Czech republic. Now I'm going to write next
> article about KMyMoney plugin writing. I want to create and describe simple
> plugin: "Open file associated with this transaction in external program" in
> the article.

Nice, please send a link when it's done.

> I wrote simple plugin for tax accounting (i miss right english worlds). I
> realized that plugin writing is not too difficult. My plugin is mostly
> complete and working. I have some questions that I want to describe in the
> planned article:
>
> Plugins available here:
> http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/plugins.html
> have inner structure different from plugins found in kmymoney sources. Are
> these plugins for KMyMoney version 1 or version 4.5? What should be the
> structure for KMyMoney 4.5 plugin?

They are for kmymoney 1.x - the KDE3 version. The structure for a
plugin for the KDE 4 version should be like the ones under 'plugins'
in the kmymoney source tree. There are no 'out of source' plugins in
the KDE4 version to improve packaging and user experience.

> What about distribution? My plugin is interesting for czech users because it
> makes some czech tax calculations. I dont know tax rules in different
> countries. Should be such plugin distributed in main KMyMoney tree? If so, how
> can I get the plugin to KMyMoney source tree? If not, how can I distribute
> such plugin?

You can get your plugin into the kmymoney source tree by submitting a
patch to the kmymoney group in the reviewboard
http://reviewboard.kde.org. Alternatively you can distribute the
plugin as a tarball by your own means (just as the kmymoney 1.x
version plugins).

> What about translation? Plugin is writen in mix of english and czech.  Strings
> can be easily rewriten to english and translated in .po file (but I think that
> my english is very poor when I have to write about tax). Where should be the
> translation placed?

Take a look at the other plugins from the kmymoney source tree. In the
KDE repository the translations are at
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/l10n-kde4/templates/messages/extragear-office/

> Is there some other things about plugin writing that I have forgotten?

Until we can't see the plugin we can't tell.

> Thanks for aswers

You're welcome. Sorry for the late answer but the team is kept very
busy by real life so the community activity has experienced a slowdown
relative to recent months, I hope that will change soon.

Regards,
Cristian