[Kmymoney-devel] Report settings page

Bernd Gonsior bernd.gonsior at googlemail.com
Tue May 18 19:09:35 CEST 2010

Alvaro Soliverez schrieb am 17.05.2010 22:07:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Bernd Gonsior
>
> <bernd.gonsior at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Alvaro Soliverez schrieb am 17.05.2010 03:52:
> >> The only comment I have is on the usage of i18n for plural messages.
> >> Line 87 to 91 of ksettingsreport.cpp can be simplified by using i18np,
> >> which accepts messages for singular and plural.
> >
> > Thanks for your advice!
> >
> >> The rest is ok. I'll keep the patch here and submit it as soon as we
> >> clear some bug that will probably trigger a new release and we don't
> >> want any new strings in.
> >
> > Only to avoid that it will be forgotten:
> > It seems, that configuration parameter LineWidth is not used until now. I
> > can set it to arbitrary values, but the line width in a diagram does not
> > change.
>
> I have to add the code to make that work. It should be in
> kreportchartview.cpp, when the lines are drawn.
> It was there before, but I removed because the chart library changed
> too much from the previous KDE3 one.
>
> You can take a look at it if you are interested.

I think i saw it - a commented "linePen.setWidth" and some
"config.chartLineWidth()".

> > Parameter MaximumLegendItems works in a way, which is a bit surprising to
> > me.
> >
> > Let's assume, there are 4 items for "Income and Expenses Graph".
> >
> > If i set MaximumLegendItems to 4 or bigger the legend is shown with that
> > 4 items. If i set MaximumLegendItems to 3, no legend is shown. Should it
> > be that way? If it is intended to be that way, OK. But without further
> > information i would expect a hint in the legend that not all items are
> > displayed.
>
> Yes, that's the way it works. Once the items are over a certain
> threshold, the legend box is removed.
> This is to avoid a problem if you intend to draw for instance, all
> categories. There is no way to draw the legend box in a readable way
> that fits in the screen. In those cases we remove the legend box
> completely. The user can still rely on the color and the on-hover
> tooltip.

I would prefer Thomas proposal:
"Maybe truncating the number of items in the legend and adding a last '...'
would show this in a better way to the user. Simply not displaying the
legend is not a really good idea, IMHO.  The MaximumLegendItem should have
an upper limit, btw."

> We'll have to add an explanation in the documentation and the "What's
> this?" to make that clear.

Yes.

Regards,
Bernd