[Kmymoney-devel] Report settings page

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Tue May 18 19:35:34 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Bernd Gonsior
<bernd.gonsior at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Alvaro Soliverez schrieb am 17.05.2010 22:07:
>> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Bernd Gonsior
>>
>> <bernd.gonsior at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks for your advice!

>> > Only to avoid that it will be forgotten:
>> > It seems, that configuration parameter LineWidth is not used until now. I
>> > can set it to arbitrary values, but the line width in a diagram does not
>> > change.
>>
>> I have to add the code to make that work. It should be in
>> kreportchartview.cpp, when the lines are drawn.
>> It was there before, but I removed because the chart library changed
>> too much from the previous KDE3 one.
>>
>> You can take a look at it if you are interested.
>
> I think i saw it - a commented "linePen.setWidth" and some
> "config.chartLineWidth()".

I knew it was there somewhere. :))

>> > Parameter MaximumLegendItems works in a way, which is a bit surprising to
>> > me.
>> >
>> > Let's assume, there are 4 items for "Income and Expenses Graph".
>> >
>> > If i set MaximumLegendItems to 4 or bigger the legend is shown with that
>> > 4 items. If i set MaximumLegendItems to 3, no legend is shown. Should it
>> > be that way? If it is intended to be that way, OK. But without further
>> > information i would expect a hint in the legend that not all items are
>> > displayed.
>>
>> Yes, that's the way it works. Once the items are over a certain
>> threshold, the legend box is removed.
>> This is to avoid a problem if you intend to draw for instance, all
>> categories. There is no way to draw the legend box in a readable way
>> that fits in the screen. In those cases we remove the legend box
>> completely. The user can still rely on the color and the on-hover
>> tooltip.
>
> I would prefer Thomas proposal:
> "Maybe truncating the number of items in the legend and adding a last '...'
> would show this in a better way to the user. Simply not displaying the
> legend is not a really good idea, IMHO.  The MaximumLegendItem should have
> an upper limit, btw."

That means modifying kdchart, because legends are entirely generated
on that side. We just provide the text. Prima facie, that means, not
for now, or filing a bug upstream. I'll talk to KDAB, to check if they
have a way to deal with this.

The maximum upper limit for that config should be no more than 99 (and
I'm being extremely generous. :) )