[Kmymoney-devel] KMyMoney - Sluggish Response

David Houlden djhoulden at gmail.com
Tue May 11 23:26:45 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 11 May 2010 aga wrote:
> Is there a general sluggishness now?  On v1, saving an edited cleared
> status happens 'in the blink of an eye', whereas on svn the window clears
> for perhaps 1 1/2-2 seconds while it thinks about things.  Accepting
> outstanding schedules is accompanied by much screen updates, and even when
> saving a transaction there is a noticeable pause.
>
> I've only seen a mention relating to keyboard use, not of a more general
> issue.  Bugs obviously have top priority, and removing KDE3 too, so
> responsiveness has to take a back seat, but I just wondered what the
> thoughts are on this.
>
> Don't take this as a complaint!  You guys have accomplished a tremendous
> amount on very tight, ambitious  schedules, and I'm extremely impressed.
>
> Allan

Hi,
I think there are some issues with performance, particularly around the ledger
even when using a release build not debug. I have definitely noticed that
just clicking on an entry to mark it cleared causes a screen refresh which is
very slow. It doesn't seem to matter how many entries are in the ledger.

My test KDE4 machine is a fairly slow 1200MHz pentium III and it is quite
interesting to watch how some of the screens refresh. Allan mentioned
entering schedules and when overdue ones are entered at startup there does
seem to be a lot of screen redrawing going on. I've also noticed that when
switching to the institutions screen it appears to get drawn twice, first
slightly further down the screen to where it should be and then again in the
correct position.

I should add that I totally agree with Allan about this not being a complaint.

Dave.