[Kmymoney-devel] Checkpoint before release

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at gmail.com
Tue May 11 14:51:02 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Jack <ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On 2010.05.10 19:46, Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
>> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Cristian Oneţ
>> <onet.cristian at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My point is, given that 3.98 is supposed to be a release candidate,
>> is it stable enough?
>> If the gut feeling is ok, I'm ok with releasing. If not, I'm ok with
>> delaying the release for an extra week.
> Actually - are there possibly two options?  One would be to delay the
> release, which doesn't seem to be what anybody wants or thinks is
> necessary.  Would there also be an option to release 3.98, but not call
> it a release candidate, and wait for a 3.99 to be the release
> candidate?  (I don't think that is necessary, but I am not that deep
> into the code to really know what else should be addressed before 4.0.)

Having yet another release would imply at least 6 more weeks. I don't
think that's necessary at this point.
According to the schedule we agreed upon, we'd have this release
candidate now, then about 3 months to work on the bugs we find, and
more porting, before releasing together with KDE 4.5. 2 or 3 weeks of
that time would be devoted to moving to extragear, BTW.

There won't be a 4.0 version, actually, we'll skip straight to 4.5. I
like this schedule, because releasing a release candidate means we get
a lot more feedback, thus a lot more bugs to fix, and having twice the
time of a normal cycle will allow us to make a great 4.5.
Having said that, I think it's a moot point since most people think we
are in good enough shape for release. I'll get working on the

I have only one doubt remaining, and it's how many people are actually
using the SVN version for production use. If on Saturday we are going
to say that this is a release candidate, that means it is or almost is
stable enough for regular daily use. I feel that way, and it really
feels more stable than many other apps I use on a daily-basis. I've
been using it for my data since October.
Do you feel that way? Would you trust this version with your data?
That's the gut feeling I'm talking about to decide whether we release
now. If you wouldn't feel comfortable uninstalling 1.x and using only
the SVN version, then perhaps we should delay the release a little, or
even have another cycle if need be.

In the meantime, please, try to use the SVN version as much as
possible, so we can find any major bugs before Saturday.


More information about the KMyMoney-devel mailing list