[Kmymoney-devel] another strange behavior

Jack ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 15 14:23:35 CEST 2010

On 2010.06.15 02:07, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> on Tuesday 15 June 2010 01:24:16 Jack Ostroff wrote:
>
>> While trying to capture a screen shot of entering a transaction
>> directly in the ledger, I unchecked "Show transaction form" on the
>> Configure KMyMoney dialog.  That had the effect of removing the
>> payee and category fields from the ledger.
>
> It does that for all but the selected transaction. I agree that this
> is somewhat broken for the newly entered transaction. One could use
> "View/Show Transaction Detail" or Ctrl+T to make those visible for
> all transactions. BTW, that also works when the form is visible.
I played some more, and at first I thought I could not replicate the
behavior.  Then I thought it was related to the ledger lens being off.
However, it is actually related to resizing the screen.  If you make
the window more narrow in the ledger view, certain columns get narrower
and then just disappear - the details column (payee and category) seem
to go first - with no horizontal scroll bar.

>> I entered a transaction, and it remained all red - because there was
>> no category - but there was no way I could find to select one
>> without turning the transaction form back on.
> I somehow cannot duplicate this. Double clicking on the transaction
> starts editing it. The same happens when I press the edit button
> underneath the ledger. Nevertheless, there is some weirdness when one
> leaves the transaction editor (name assigned, category assigned but
> no memo entered) as it now shows three lines instead of two. Pressing
> Ctrl+T twice fixes that (as it redraws the ledger).
This would only happen if you leave both payee and category missing.
By the way - with the window so narrow that the details column does not
display - ALL transactions are only one line, since none of the
displayed columns need more than one.

>> Also, tabbing through the fields stopped at the date field - I could
>> shift-tab out but tab had no effect once I was in the date field.
> I am unable to duplicate this behavior. The only nuisance I found is,
> that tabbing forward goes from the reconciliation state to the number
> field to the date field, but going backwards (Shift-Tab) goes
> straight from the date field to the reconciliation state w/o entering
> the number field.
It only happens if the details column is missing - with the narrow
window.

>> Another minor point is that there are entry field for both deposit
>> and withdrawal, and entering a value in one removes the value in the
>> other.  I suppose this is correct behavior, but I think I should add
>> mention of it in the manual.
> Yes, this is the expected behavior. Also, entering a negative value
> in one of the fields converts it into a positive one in the other.

> I am running this against SVN HEAD, just in case you use something
> different. Anyway, there seems to be a bit of work ahead of us fixing
> the ledger.
I started against the release 3.98 tarball, but did update to latest
svn just to be sure.  (I actually updated for the other bug I reported.)

It looks like most of this issue could be fixed by either setting a
minimum width for the window or adding a horizontal scroll bar instead
of not displaying a column.