[Kmymoney-devel] build questions

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 25 02:19:14 CEST 2010

On 2010.07.24 19:57, Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> First, a minor issue, but I've gotten curious.  I've notice recently
>> people suggesting to run "make" twice.  In fact, I've also noticed
>> that it sometimes takes more runs for another "make" to not to
>> anything else.  Is this just a side effect of actually running "make
>> -j3" or is there something non-deterministic about make?
> There is some issue with dependencies not being compiled correctly on
> the first run. Before, it actually took 3 runs to build completely.
> We're still working out why it happens, but it doesn't have anything
> to do with running "make -j3". I run "make -j5" actually.
Good to know.  I've always assumed a good "j" value is one more than
the number of processors or cores you have.

>> Second, and this is now starting to drive me crazy, the last few
>> times I've compiled from svn, I've noticed that the handbook has not
>> been installed, and it actually looks like it wasn't even
>> 'compiled.'  I then noticed the cmake option
>> KDE4_ENABLE_HTMLHANDBOOK, which seems not to be on by default.  (I'm
>> using the default CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE of RelWithDebInfo.)  I know it
>> has worked in the past, because my installed version has a handbook
>> labeled 4.5, which was only in index.docbook briefly.
> Cristian fixed the handbook a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps it was
> before that. After Cristian's fix, you have to enable it explicitely.
I assume he just changed some of the defaults, and that this can be
enabled by -DKDE4_ENABLE_HANDBOOK=on in the cmake command?

>   It also doesn't show the new faq or installation chapters.  My
> current index.docbook says 3.97 and has those chapters, and that is
> the version in the doc/ directory.
> I think that has to do with the createtarball not finding the docs
> every time. I've seen that happen once or twice.
No - these problems are compiling from svn.  I have a script that
creates (or empties) the doc directory under the main source directory
and copies everything from my working doc svn directory, then cleans
out the build directory, and runs cmake.  (pretty much like the
createtarball script does.)

>> I've now done a clean createtarball, and compiled that, and
>> everything seems to have worked fine.
>> Is there something funny about getting the docs (handbook, not
>> developer docs) compiled, or is it just me?
> I don't think it's you. Just some changes along the way and maybe
> createtarball not working correctly.
I'll try again from scratch, but my issues are not with the
createtarball version (thanks to Thomas for the switch that lets me
omit fetching the transation) but when I put the docs into the svn
source.

However - I did discover the meinproc program that converts the docbook
files to HTML.  (dont need cmake or make)  By default it produces
something only usable by Konqueror, but there are apparently options to
make other flavors of html.