[Kmymoney-devel] build questions

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at kde.org
Sun Jul 25 02:29:14 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 9:19 PM, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 2010.07.24 19:57, Alvaro Soliverez wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> First, a minor issue, but I've gotten curious.  I've notice recently
>>> people suggesting to run "make" twice.  In fact, I've also noticed that it
>>> sometimes takes more runs for another "make" to not to anything else.  Is
>>> this just a side effect of actually running "make -j3" or is there something
>>> non-deterministic about make?
>>
>> There is some issue with dependencies not being compiled correctly on the
>> first run. Before, it actually took 3 runs to build completely. We're still
>> working out why it happens, but it doesn't have anything to do with running
>> "make -j3". I run "make -j5" actually.
>
> Good to know.  I've always assumed a good "j" value is one more than the
> number of processors or cores you have.

I have a Phenom x4, that's why.

>>> Second, and this is now starting to drive me crazy, the last few times
>>> I've compiled from svn, I've noticed that the handbook has not been
>>> installed, and it actually looks like it wasn't even 'compiled.'  I then
>>> noticed the cmake option KDE4_ENABLE_HTMLHANDBOOK, which seems not to be on
>>> by default.  (I'm using the default CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE of RelWithDebInfo.)  I
>>> know it has worked in the past, because my installed version has a handbook
>>> labeled 4.5, which was only in index.docbook briefly.
>>
>> Cristian fixed the handbook a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps it was before
>> that. After Cristian's fix, you have to enable it explicitely.
>
> I assume he just changed some of the defaults, and that this can be enabled
> by -DKDE4_ENABLE_HANDBOOK=on in the cmake command?

Yes. Keep in mind that the developer's handbook is only of use for
developers actually interested to get involved in KMM's development.
That would reduce the intended audience to less than 20 people. To be
off by default is really sensible in this case.

>>   It also doesn't show the new faq or installation chapters.  My current
>> index.docbook says 3.97 and has those chapters, and that is the version in
>> the doc/ directory.
>> I think that has to do with the createtarball not finding the docs every
>> time. I've seen that happen once or twice.
>
> No - these problems are compiling from svn.  I have a script that creates
> (or empties) the doc directory under the main source directory and copies
> everything from my working doc svn directory, then cleans out the build
> directory, and runs cmake.  (pretty much like the createtarball script
> does.)

Do you run a compile from scratch in this case? When you add or remove
files, it is advised that you uninstall first, rm * your build file
and build from scratch. Otherwise, some files may be overlooked.

Regards,
Alvaro