[Kmymoney-devel] FAQ for handbook

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Fri Jul 23 07:47:17 CEST 2010

Hi,

on Friday 23 July 2010 Jack wrote:

> I'm going to add a Frequently Asked Questions chapter to the handbook
> (it's supposed to be a standard part of KDE manuals.)
>
> I had forgotten that there was already a FAQ page for KMM
> (http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/faq.html).  That file includes:
>     1. How do I compile from CVS?
>     2. Where do I find some more information about OFX parameters?
>     3. Why is a transaction shown in red and how can I get rid of the
> color?
>     4. Why does the QIF import choke on a wrong date format?
>     5. When I start KMyMoney I get a "Malformed URL" error. What's
> wrong?
>     6. I have mistyped the name of a payee and want to change it in all
> transaction. Is there a global search/replace?
>     7. Why is there no translation for 'my' language?
>     8. What options are useful to pass to 'configure'?
>     9. When I compile from source, all the icons show up as missing.
> What did I do wrong?
>    10. How can I use distcc to help speed up compilation of KMyMoney,
> or other KDE (C++) applications?
>    11. The CVS version is broken! What do I do now?
>    12. Speaking of names: where did the "2" come from? Is it KMyMoney
> or KMyMoney2?
>    13. Accounts and categories show a total balance of 0.00 which is
> wrong. What's going on here?
>    14. Will KMymoney work on my Xubuntu desktop?
>    15. How can I report a bug?

There's also the tips file in the kmymoney subdirectory of the sources. It
might give you new ideas of what could drop into the FAQ. Also, if someone has
more tips: please add them.

> Unless someone thinks otherwise, I'll include all of these (probably
> reordered) with some changes:
> -- All references to CVS will change to SVN and ./configure to cmake.
> (Hopefully I'll have enough time to add a whole chapter on installing
> KMM to include compiling from source.)
> -- 4. Can someone else let me know if this QIF question is now
> irrelevant due to improvements in the QIF import.

Yes, it is. This issue never came up again after we changed the logic.

> -- 12. I don't think we need to mention the "2" issue, but I might add
> one about the change from 1.0.5 directly to 4.5.
>
> I will also add the following items:
> - can't edit a transaction with date earlier than account open date

How about presetting the opening date in the new account wizard to the first
of the (fiscal) year instead of the current date (is it the current date now)?

> - need to edit account to add opening balance if you didn't when you
> created the account
> - if you can't change account type, create a new one and move the
> transactions
> - use liability account for 0% loan
> - check the filters if you don't see all your transactions in the ledger
> - reports including all splits of transactions when you only want one
> category - you need to use a category based report, not an account
> based report (I'll use better wording than that)
>
> Are there any items to add regarding aqbanking or online price updates?

Maybe, I can come up with a few items for aqbanking.

> (I still have a few hundred emails to review, so I'll probably find
> some more.)
>
> Jack
>
> (I probably won't get to do much to the 1.0.x version, but if I do, are
> there any critical issues to address there?)

I would suggest to spend most/all of your available time on 4.5 and leave
additions to 1.0.x for the future.  We haven't decided when 1.0.x will end
unless someone steps up and backports all the fixes.

'Software is like sex: it's better when it's free' (Linus Torvalds)