[Kmymoney-devel] FAQ for handbook

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 23 15:10:27 CEST 2010

On 2010.07.23 01:47, Thomas Baumgart wrote:
> on Friday 23 July 2010 Jack wrote:
>
>> I'm going to add a Frequently Asked Questions chapter to the
>> handbook (it's supposed to be a standard part of KDE manuals.)
> >
>> I had forgotten that there was already a FAQ page for KMM
>> (http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/faq.html).  That file includes:
[snip list]
> There's also the tips file in the kmymoney subdirectory of the
> sources. It might give you new ideas of what could drop into the FAQ.
> Also, if someone has more tips: please add them.
I'll check, but the place in the handbook that reminded me of the faq
says the tip entries were taken from that faq,

>> Unless someone thinks otherwise, I'll include all of these (probably
>> reordered) with some changes:
>> -- All references to CVS will change to SVN and ./configure to
>> cmake. (Hopefully I'll have enough time to add a whole chapter on
>> installing KMM to include compiling from source.)

>> -- 4. Can someone else let me know if this QIF question is now
>> irrelevant due to improvements in the QIF import.
> Yes, it is. This issue never came up again after we changed the logic.
Good, I'll drop it.

>> -- 12. I don't think we need to mention the "2" issue, but I might
>> add one about the change from 1.0.5 directly to 4.5.

> > I will also add the following items:
> > - can't edit a transaction with date earlier than account open date
> How about presetting the opening date in the new account wizard to
> the first of the (fiscal) year instead of the current date (is it the
> current date now)?
What about starting with it missing, so the user has to provide it?

> > - need to edit account to add opening balance if you didn't when you
> > created the account
> > - if you can't change account type, create a new one and move the
> > transactions
> > - use liability account for 0% loan
> > - check the filters if you don't see all your transactions in the
> ledger
> > - reports including all splits of transactions when you only want
> one
> > category - you need to use a category based report, not an account
> > based report (I'll use better wording than that)
> >
> > Are there any items to add regarding aqbanking or online price
> updates?
>
> Maybe, I can come up with a few items for aqbanking.

>> (I probably won't get to do much to the 1.0.x version, but if I do,
>> are there any critical issues to address there?)
> I would suggest to spend most/all of your available time on 4.5 and
> leave additions to 1.0.x for the future.  We haven't decided when
> 1.0.x will end unless someone steps up and backports all the fixes.
I thought we would release a 1.0.6, but it can certainly be later than
4.5.  I also assume we can stop supporting 1.0 when all the (major?)
distributions have successfully packaged 4.5.