[Kmymoney-devel] FAQ for handbook

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 23 01:02:10 CEST 2010

I'm going to add a Frequently Asked Questions chapter to the handbook
(it's supposed to be a standard part of KDE manuals.)

I had forgotten that there was already a FAQ page for KMM
(http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/faq.html).  That file includes:
    1. How do I compile from CVS?
    2. Where do I find some more information about OFX parameters?
    3. Why is a transaction shown in red and how can I get rid of the
color?
    4. Why does the QIF import choke on a wrong date format?
    5. When I start KMyMoney I get a "Malformed URL" error. What's
wrong?
    6. I have mistyped the name of a payee and want to change it in all
transaction. Is there a global search/replace?
    7. Why is there no translation for 'my' language?
    8. What options are useful to pass to 'configure'?
    9. When I compile from source, all the icons show up as missing.
What did I do wrong?
   10. How can I use distcc to help speed up compilation of KMyMoney,
or other KDE (C++) applications?
   11. The CVS version is broken! What do I do now?
   12. Speaking of names: where did the "2" come from? Is it KMyMoney
or KMyMoney2?
   13. Accounts and categories show a total balance of 0.00 which is
wrong. What's going on here?
   14. Will KMymoney work on my Xubuntu desktop?
   15. How can I report a bug?

Unless someone thinks otherwise, I'll include all of these (probably
reordered) with some changes:
-- All references to CVS will change to SVN and ./configure to cmake.
(Hopefully I'll have enough time to add a whole chapter on installing
KMM to include compiling from source.)
-- 4. Can someone else let me know if this QIF question is now
irrelevant due to improvements in the QIF import.
-- 12. I don't think we need to mention the "2" issue, but I might add
one about the change from 1.0.5 directly to 4.5.

I will also add the following items:
- can't edit a transaction with date earlier than account open date
- need to edit account to add opening balance if you didn't when you
created the account
- if you can't change account type, create a new one and move the
transactions
- use liability account for 0% loan
- check the filters if you don't see all your transactions in the ledger
- reports including all splits of transactions when you only want one
category - you need to use a category based report, not an account
based report (I'll use better wording than that)

Are there any items to add regarding aqbanking or online price updates?

(I still have a few hundred emails to review, so I'll probably find
some more.)

Jack

(I probably won't get to do much to the 1.0.x version, but if I do, are
there any critical issues to address there?)