[Kmymoney-devel] Status of screenshots for manual

Alvaro Soliverez asoliverez at kde.org
Sat Jul 10 00:33:20 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Jack <ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have finally made it all the way through the manual to replace the
> screenshots so they are more consistent and
>  show the new interface.  However, there are still some issues.  For
> most of them, I propose an action I will take unless someone thinks I
> should do something different.  For some, I need developer assistance.
> They are grouped below by the type of problem.  Each file or list of
> files starts with a "-" and for each group of files "===" indicates my
> proposed action or the help I need.
>
> The following png files in the doc directory seem not to be used
> anywhere:
> - accwiz3.png, accwiz4.png, and accwix5.png: look like items that have
> been grouped on a single page and so are not used any more
> - default_prompt.png: this is a notice titles "Load predefined
> accounts/categories" that seems not to be used any more in the new file
> wizard.
> - kmt.png: this appears to be a file selection dialog for choosing
> account templates by locale/language, which is no longer the was to
> choose them.
> - register.png and schedule,png: these seem to be old versions of
> ledgers_view.png and schedule_view.png
> - finddlg.png: this seems to be a duplicate of find-text.png
> - qifimport.png: duplicate of qifopen.png
> === I will remove the above png files from svn unless someone objects.

Go ahead

> This file is not currently used, but I think should be used.
> - investments_summarytab: this is a shot of the investments view.
> === I will add this back to the first page of the investments section,
> unless someone objects.  (I assume it was used once in the past, and do
> not know why it would have been dropped.)
>
> This file is not used, but I think a new version of it should be used.
> - ledgers.png: this is a shot of a ledger.  It is essenttially the same
> as ledgerview-numbered (which is currently not numbered, as there are
> no numbers/letters in the text to match) but it includes transactions,
> where ledgerview-numbered does not.
> === I will use ledgers.png instead of ledgerview-numbered.png since
> unless someone thinks numbers/letters should be added (but I don't
> think it would help any explanations) and it looks a bit odd to show an
> empty ledger.
>
> I cannot find the new files for these icons.
> - home_view.png: this is the home view icon.  The old one had an orange
> roof, the new one is a different angle with a dark roof.  I would
> rather use the actual icon file instead of trying to capture it off the
> screen, but I can't find it anywhere.  Is it embedded in the code?
> - new.png: for a new file.  The new one has a + in a green circle, the
> old one looks like it has an orange star.  Same problem as
> home_view.png.

Those two icons are standard KDE icons. It will use the icons of the
theme you are using. The Oxygen icons in this case.
You won't find them on our repository. I could send you the files if
you tell me what size you need them.

> I cannot generate this dialog.
> - investment-currencywarning: This is the warning about an investment
> in a different currency than the account it is in.  I have tried to
> turn on all messages, but I still do not get this warning when creating
> an investment in a different currency than the account, which is also a
> different currency than the file.

It's probably been deprecated, since there is no objection to have that happen.

> I do not have a gnucash file to import.  Tony B said he would send me
> one.  As soon as he does, I will replace these files.
> - gnucash-import_options.png, gnucash-report.png,
> gnucash-select_price_source.png
>
> This file is referred to in a commented out section of the manual.  I
> will leave it alone for now, until I decide whether to un-comment the
> section or delete it (or just leave it alone for now.)
>
> Would someone please confirm that I placed the label letters in the
> correct position.  I did this in gimp, and it took a bit of time, so I
> want to be sure I got it right.
> - newsched_numbered.png

Did you commit it to SVN? I don't see any attachments on this mail.

> The following files are probably all ok, but I noted some difference
> from the old version, and wanted to be sure the difference did not
> indicate any problem.  I will assume these are all OK unless someone
> says something.
> - investment-transactionform.png: I did not add any label letters,
> since the text in the manual doesn't have any.
> - investment-exchangerateeditor.png: the rate shown is not exactly the
> rate used in the text, and I couldn't get the dialog to show a 0 rate.

Probably, a validation has been added, since a 0 rate would cause
problems in other areas.

> - institution_view.png: the dialog no longer shows the number of
> transactions per account

True. And it will remain that way in the near future.

> - newfile-3.png and newfile-4.png: both of these are step 3 of 5 in the
> new file wizard.  I don't know if this will be confusing to naive users.

There will be some rework of the new file wizard.

> - accwiz8.2.png: interest is show with no decimal places
probably a problem.

> - accwiz9.png: this does not show the institution; the previous version
> did.

probably a problem. Can you tell which account type that is?

> Next steps for manual:  I have to dig out my notes from when I was
> working on the 1.0 release.  If I remember right, we are not really
> using the KDE template for manuals - we are missing some suggested
> chapters, such as installing and FAQ.
>
> Question: the manual is currently labeled for 3.97.  Should I change it
> to 3.98, and when should it be changed to 4.5?  (Is that what it will
> be?)

I would start changing now to 4.5. The moment we declare the
string-freeze, that's the release for the stable version.

> Finally, at some point in the next few weeks, I'd really appreciate it
> if every developer would take a quick look at the manual for the
> sections you have worked on, to be sure I really have captured the
> latest version of the UI.  I know I'll do another check as I go through
> all the text again, but an extra set of eyes can't hurt.
>
> Thanks for all your support.

Thank you very much for your work!