[Kmymoney-devel] Status of screenshots for manual

Jack ostroffjh at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 10 00:04:23 CEST 2010

Hello all,

I have finally made it all the way through the manual to replace the
screenshots so they are more consistent and
  show the new interface.  However, there are still some issues.  For
most of them, I propose an action I will take unless someone thinks I
should do something different.  For some, I need developer assistance.
They are grouped below by the type of problem.  Each file or list of
files starts with a "-" and for each group of files "===" indicates my
proposed action or the help I need.

The following png files in the doc directory seem not to be used
anywhere:
- accwiz3.png, accwiz4.png, and accwix5.png: look like items that have
been grouped on a single page and so are not used any more
- default_prompt.png: this is a notice titles "Load predefined
accounts/categories" that seems not to be used any more in the new file
wizard.
- kmt.png: this appears to be a file selection dialog for choosing
account templates by locale/language, which is no longer the was to
choose them.
- register.png and schedule,png: these seem to be old versions of
ledgers_view.png and schedule_view.png
- finddlg.png: this seems to be a duplicate of find-text.png
- qifimport.png: duplicate of qifopen.png
=== I will remove the above png files from svn unless someone objects.

This file is not currently used, but I think should be used.
- investments_summarytab: this is a shot of the investments view.
=== I will add this back to the first page of the investments section,
unless someone objects.  (I assume it was used once in the past, and do
not know why it would have been dropped.)

This file is not used, but I think a new version of it should be used.
- ledgers.png: this is a shot of a ledger.  It is essenttially the same
as ledgerview-numbered (which is currently not numbered, as there are
no numbers/letters in the text to match) but it includes transactions,
where ledgerview-numbered does not.
=== I will use ledgers.png instead of ledgerview-numbered.png since
unless someone thinks numbers/letters should be added (but I don't
think it would help any explanations) and it looks a bit odd to show an
empty ledger.

I cannot find the new files for these icons.
- home_view.png: this is the home view icon.  The old one had an orange
roof, the new one is a different angle with a dark roof.  I would
rather use the actual icon file instead of trying to capture it off the
screen, but I can't find it anywhere.  Is it embedded in the code?
- new.png: for a new file.  The new one has a + in a green circle, the
old one looks like it has an orange star.  Same problem as
home_view.png.

I cannot generate this dialog.
- investment-currencywarning: This is the warning about an investment
in a different currency than the account it is in.  I have tried to
turn on all messages, but I still do not get this warning when creating
an investment in a different currency than the account, which is also a
different currency than the file.

I do not have a gnucash file to import.  Tony B said he would send me
one.  As soon as he does, I will replace these files.
- gnucash-import_options.png, gnucash-report.png,
gnucash-select_price_source.png

This file is referred to in a commented out section of the manual.  I
will leave it alone for now, until I decide whether to un-comment the
section or delete it (or just leave it alone for now.)

Would someone please confirm that I placed the label letters in the
correct position.  I did this in gimp, and it took a bit of time, so I
want to be sure I got it right.
- newsched_numbered.png

The following files are probably all ok, but I noted some difference
from the old version, and wanted to be sure the difference did not
indicate any problem.  I will assume these are all OK unless someone
says something.
- investment-transactionform.png: I did not add any label letters,
since the text in the manual doesn't have any.
- investment-exchangerateeditor.png: the rate shown is not exactly the
rate used in the text, and I couldn't get the dialog to show a 0 rate.
- institution_view.png: the dialog no longer shows the number of
transactions per account
- newfile-3.png and newfile-4.png: both of these are step 3 of 5 in the
new file wizard.  I don't know if this will be confusing to naive users.
- accwiz8.2.png: interest is show with no decimal places
- accwiz9.png: this does not show the institution; the previous version
did.

Next steps for manual:  I have to dig out my notes from when I was
working on the 1.0 release.  If I remember right, we are not really
using the KDE template for manuals - we are missing some suggested
chapters, such as installing and FAQ.

Question: the manual is currently labeled for 3.97.  Should I change it
to 3.98, and when should it be changed to 4.5?  (Is that what it will
be?)

Finally, at some point in the next few weeks, I'd really appreciate it
if every developer would take a quick look at the manual for the
sections you have worked on, to be sure I really have captured the
latest version of the UI.  I know I'll do another check as I go through
all the text again, but an extra set of eyes can't hurt.

Thanks for all your support.