Anything about Tenor?

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at gmx.de
Tue Aug 9 18:37:43 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 01:49, Scott Wheeler wrote:

> From what I've seen of Kat, it's more or less a traditional search tool.  I
> really hope that I'll have more time to work on Tenor in the next few
> months and if that happens there could probably be a merge where we could
> use some of the things that Kat is doing in terms of full text extraction
> and Kat could be an interface for the Tenor library layer.  (That said, I
> don't really like the interface of Kat, but that's another matter.)

Right, the current interface isn't that good, I never saw a search tool where
the actual search functionality is so well hidden as in kat ;-)
But that will be improved soon, from the feature plan for 0.7.0: "Make a brand
new simple and usable search client" (they plan integration into konqueror). I
think the client hasn't changed much since I tried kat the first time in its
early days... They put more effort into the backend, like the fulltext
extractors, language detection, the indexer, and a kded daemon that does the
indexing in the background (monitoring changes using inotify, which will be
part of Linux kernel 2.6.13). There is also libkat in the works so other apps
can make use of kat.

> With that in mind, if Kat matures a bit it may make a nice mid-term
> solution so that we have something doing search-type stuff, but of course
> it doesn't cover some of the more interesting ideas from Tenor like
> contextual linkage and content management.

I wonder if the KAT API could become a generic API for (context-less) search.
Tenor could then implement the API as well, allowing easy migration of
KAT-enabled apps to KAT/Tenor.
I really hope we can bring KAT and Tenor together and cooperate, instead of
having two competing solutions, maximizing confusion for developers and
users.

Regards,

Frank