Anything about Tenor?

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Tue Aug 9 01:49:37 CEST 2005

On Monday 08 August 2005 23:14, Mario Fux wrote:
> Good morning
>
> I wanted to ask if there is anything new about Tenor?

At the moment "Tenor" is mostly me.  :-)

And unfortunately "me" has been pretty busy with non-KDE related stuff for the
last few months.  :-)

That said, that's not that unusual for me -- my work on KDE comes and goes in
phases and at some point I'll be back working on this stuff.  It's just a
matter of if that'll be KDE 4.0 or 4.1 or whatever.

Also there are a few others that have expressed interest in working on the
stuff, which is usually a good motivator for me (when other people are
working on stuff that I'm interested in I tend to get sucked in again), so
we'll see what happens in the next couple of months.

> In the last days I searched in the svn archive of KDE and look at the
> schedule of akademy2005 but could see anything related to Tenor.

Unfortunately I won't be at aKademy this year (I don't have enough vacation
days left.); I've done other talks on the topic at various places in the last
year.

> I'm very much interested in this topic but didn't see anything new about it
> in the last weeks but heard that there is already some code.

Yes, there's a "skeleton" of sorts in SVN in playground/base.  It gives some
of the general direction of things and has some code for the basic graph
elements, but currently is missing the high level structures that are more
useful in applications.

> Please don't unterstand me wrong. I don't expect any answer to this mail
> and anything of you either but I only wanted to ask because I saw something
> about Kat [1] and its possible integration into KDE.
>
> If I'm right Kat is only a subset of what Tenor would offer but anyway
> there could be possible collaboration (no, I'm not a Kat developer ;-).

Well, I don't really know the goals of Kat at the moment, but in general I
would expect them to be mostly complimentary to Tenor.

From what I've seen of Kat, it's more or less a traditional search tool.  I
really hope that I'll have more time to work on Tenor in the next few months
and if that happens there could probably be a merge where we could use some
of the things that Kat is doing in terms of full text extraction and Kat
could be an interface for the Tenor library layer.  (That said, I don't
really like the interface of Kat, but that's another matter.)

With that in mind, if Kat matures a bit it may make a nice mid-term solution
so that we have something doing search-type stuff, but of course it doesn't
cover some of the more interesting ideas from Tenor like contextual linkage
and content management.

> Ok, all good days and it would be great to hear so mething of Tenor

Yep -- I wish there was more to say at the moment, but well, it's mostly a
matter of just shifting some things around and making time for it at some
point.

Cheers,

-Scott

--
If you want to get laid, go to college, but if you want an education, go to
the library.