Binding presets to shortcuts

Timothée Giet animtim at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 12:46:30 UTC 2014

Le 20/10/2014 13:07, Sven Langkamp a écrit :
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Timothée Giet <animtim at gmail.com
> <mailto:animtim at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Le 19/10/2014 01:53, Sven Langkamp a écrit :
>
>         Hi,
>

>         recently we have gotten the request to be able to bind preset
>         to shortcuts like here:
>         https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=123325&p=321980#p321970
>
>         For the feature the user should be able to save a preset into
>         some place and access it later with a shortcut. From the
>         request above it should also be possible to store temporary
>         setting so the state of the brush even without an existing preset.
>         I'm not wondering how that could be solved efficiently and see
>         what your comments.
>

>     I think such need will be well covered with the
>     persistent-preset-change from mohit.
>

>         I think there should be a number of slots where you can save a
>         preset to bind it to a certain preset. I wonder if we need to
>         make it possible to access a huge amount of presets or if we
>         just need a few. For example you could have five slots and one
>         preset in each, which would limit the number of addressable
>         presets to five. Alternatively each slot could contain a list
>         of preset and with each press of the shortcut (before a
>         certain timeout) you would get to the next in the list. That
>         would allow to have more preset to be accessible via shortcuts
>         but make reaching a single one a bit slower.
>

>     I think the most logical way to do it in Krita would be to add
>     empty shortcuts for each favorite preset slot. That way, one can
>     switch fastly between each preset kind, and can select different
>     preset for each kind using the popup-palette to access lists. And
>     starting with empty shortcuts, people can use the keys the want
>     depending on keyboard type and layout.
>

>     Really with both of these features I believe we'll have more than
>     enough convenient and advanced ways to deal with presets for now.
>

> I don't think that it covers the whole case as both features are
> indenpendent. It would still not allow to access a temporary setting
> with a shortcut as you would first have to make a proper preset and
> then save it to the popup.

Well I don't see the point or even how it would be sanely possible to
map shortcuts to brush settings out of nowhere. In practice user always
start from selecting an existing preset/brush and make tweak from it.
Now with those tweaks persistent across preset change with mohit's work,
it is possible to switch to temporary presets. If one starts a brush
from engine's default settings/really not from a preset, they really
should save it a preset if they intend to reuse it, that's what presets
are made for. Saving settings to an invisible/not exposed preset only
vailable with a shortcut is a bad idea.

> Beside that I think it's hard to make show the connection to the popup
> palette. It may change at any time and move slots around, so it's not
> exactly predictable here. You would have to remember which slot is
> which preset.

Yes, this has to be well designed to show the user which slot is where,
but it is truly a complement to the same need: to access user's common
"tools", wether they are original/saved preset or a tweakd version of
it.. Like, if I was to set shortcuts to some presets, that would be
exactly one for each favorite tag, that is those I always use/switch
very often.