Binding presets to shortcuts

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 11:07:53 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Timothée Giet <animtim at gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 19/10/2014 01:53, Sven Langkamp a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> recently we have gotten the request to be able to bind preset to
>> shortcuts like here: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=123325&
>> p=321980#p321970
>>
>> For the feature the user should be able to save a preset into some place
>> and access it later with a shortcut. From the request above it should also
>> be possible to store temporary setting so the state of the brush even
>> without an existing preset.
>> I'm not wondering how that could be solved efficiently and see what your
>> comments.
>>

> I think such need will be well covered with the persistent-preset-change
> from mohit.
>

>  I think there should be a number of slots where you can save a preset to
>> bind it to a certain preset. I wonder if we need to make it possible to
>> access a huge amount of presets or if we just need a few. For example you
>> could have five slots and one preset in each, which would limit the number
>> of addressable presets to five. Alternatively each slot could contain a
>> list of preset and with each press of the shortcut (before a certain
>> timeout) you would get to the next in the list. That would allow to have
>> more preset to be accessible via shortcuts but make reaching a single one a
>> bit slower.
>>

> I think the most logical way to do it in Krita would be to add empty
> shortcuts for each favorite preset slot. That way, one can switch fastly
> between each preset kind, and can select different preset for each kind
> using the popup-palette to access lists. And starting with empty shortcuts,
> people can use the keys the want depending on keyboard type and layout.
>

> Really with both of these features I believe we'll have more than enough
> convenient and advanced ways to deal with presets for now.

I don't think that it covers the whole case as both features are
indenpendent. It would still not allow to access a temporary setting with a
shortcut as you would first have to make a proper preset and then save it
to the popup.

Beside that I think it's hard to make show the connection to the popup
palette. It may change at any time and move slots around, so it's not
exactly predictable here. You would have to remember which slot is which
preset.