Feedback about Krita (linux) from a painter

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Jul 21 08:30:44 UTC 2013

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013, Dmitry Kazakov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Yesterday I showed Krita to another friend. She is more a designer than a painter, but still there are some
> comments:
>
> 1) The brush configuration dialog lacks an automatic example stroke, which would show the effect of the
> currently configured brush in the realtime.
>
> My comment: the paintops might also have an method, telling which background should be used on the automatic
> preview. This additional info is needed for the paintops like Color Smudge and Deform. This method might return:
> "color", "gradient" or "pattern" and current values would be used.

We used to have that -- and intentionally replaced it. It's a kind of
"photoshop does it, why doesn't this app have it?" feature, I feel.

> 2) It might also be cool if this automatic stroke might be compared with the previous one. The same applies to
> the current color selection (is implemented in MyPaint).
>
> 3) When brush outline cursor is active, it is *very* difficult to do precise details, because you cannot see the
> center of the circle. The girl was painting with quite a big brush, but used light pressure to do thin lines
> (she used some inking preset, so the opacity was always 100%). That is why she had to activate "Small Circle"
> cursor to do the work.

Yes -- we have a bug about that already, if I am not mistaken. We should
show a center dot inside the brush outline. I'm also thinking that we
might have a cursor switch in the toolbar, because changing the cursor
type is something that people do a lot.

> 4) Default brush presets, which are pre-installed with Krita, are, so to speak, not optimal, and it is almost
> impossible to simply start painting without getting into the details of configuring a brush.
>     i) Their preview images don't have common design. E.g. coloring could show which kind of brush it is.
>     ii) There is no structuring and not much grouping among them
>
> An example of good brushes is the set distributed by David Revoy: it has a design and some kind of grouping. I
> installed it right in the beginning, but having it messed with the default presets makes a newbie perplexed with
> the amount of contrast images.
>
> Btw, as far as I understand David uses green color for brushes with the pattern. Probably, we could develop this
> idea further and use coloring to group brushes by some trait. E.g. inking brushes --- yellow, filling brushes
> --- blue and so on. But this should be discussed with the painters really well to design a good coding system.
> Probably, there are some examples of color coding in real life painting tools?
>
> 5) I was asked how to add a preset to the Right-click pop-up dialog. And I could neither answer this question
> nor find out how to do that. This is surely not obvious :(

Use the "Save to palette" button in the toolbar.