Feedback about Krita (linux) from a painter

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 08:25:31 UTC 2013

Hi!

Yesterday I showed Krita to another friend. She is more a designer than a
painter, but still there are some comments:

1) The brush configuration dialog lacks an automatic example stroke, which
would show the effect of the currently configured brush in the realtime.

My comment: the paintops might also have an method, telling which
background should be used on the automatic preview. This additional info is
needed for the paintops like Color Smudge and Deform. This method might
return: "color", "gradient" or "pattern" and current values would be used.

2) It might also be cool if this automatic stroke might be compared with
the previous one. The same applies to the current color selection (is
implemented in MyPaint).

3) When brush outline cursor is active, it is *very* difficult to do
precise details, because you cannot see the center of the circle. The girl
was painting with quite a big brush, but used light pressure to do thin
lines (she used some inking preset, so the opacity was always 100%). That
is why she had to activate "Small Circle" cursor to do the work.

4) Default brush presets, which are pre-installed with Krita, are, so to
speak, not optimal, and it is almost impossible to simply start painting
without getting into the details of configuring a brush.
    i) Their preview images don't have common design. E.g. coloring could
show which kind of brush it is.
    ii) There is no structuring and not much grouping among them

An example of good brushes is the set distributed by David Revoy: it has a
design and some kind of grouping. I installed it right in the beginning,
but having it messed with the default presets makes a newbie perplexed with
the amount of contrast images.

Btw, as far as I understand David uses green color for brushes with the
pattern. Probably, we could develop this idea further and use coloring to
group brushes by some trait. E.g. inking brushes --- yellow, filling
brushes --- blue and so on. But this should be discussed with the painters
really well to design a good coding system. Probably, there are some
examples of color coding in real life painting tools?

5) I was asked how to add a preset to the Right-click pop-up dialog. And I
could neither answer this question nor find out how to do that. This is
surely not obvious :(

--
Dmitry Kazakov