Feedback about Krita (linux) from a painter

Timothée Giet animtim at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 09:56:11 UTC 2013

>> 3) When brush outline cursor is active, it is *very* difficult to do
>> precise details, because you cannot see the
>> center of the circle. The girl was painting with quite a big brush,
>> but used light pressure to do thin lines
>> (she used some inking preset, so the opacity was always 100%). That
>> is why she had to activate "Small Circle"
>> cursor to do the work.
>
> Yes -- we have a bug about that already, if I am not mistaken. We
> should show a center dot inside the brush outline. I'm also thinking
> that we might have a cursor switch in the toolbar, because changing
> the cursor type is something that people do a lot.

+1 for the toolbar cursor switch, I'm waiting for this since a long time
(though I may have forgotten to file it in the bugtracker...)

>> 4) Default brush presets, which are pre-installed with Krita, are, so
>> to speak, not optimal, and it is almost
>> impossible to simply start painting without getting into the details
>> of configuring a brush.
>>     i) Their preview images don't have common design. E.g. coloring
>> could show which kind of brush it is.
>>     ii) There is no structuring and not much grouping among them
>>
>> An example of good brushes is the set distributed by David Revoy: it
>> has a design and some kind of grouping. I
>> installed it right in the beginning, but having it messed with the
>> default presets makes a newbie perplexed with
>> the amount of contrast images.
>>
>> Btw, as far as I understand David uses green color for brushes with
>> the pattern. Probably, we could develop this
>> idea further and use coloring to group brushes by some trait. E.g.
>> inking brushes --- yellow, filling brushes
>> --- blue and so on. But this should be discussed with the painters
>> really well to design a good coding system.
>> Probably, there are some examples of color coding in real life
>> painting tools?

Yes, there is already some color-code system in current default presets
(Black is "normal", white is "erase", dark blue is color-smudge smearing
mode, purple in dulling mode, and light-blue for smudge-only; and then
FX presets with distinct colors fx-related colors...)
but sure this scheme design dates back from quite long already, and
needs to be updated to reflect better current features, and mix in the
ideas from David and Ramon's packs.

Actually that's already in my plan to do this as soon as possible, just
I was waiting for the preset management and tagging system to be
finished to make good use of it.. So now I think it's advanced enough
already to do it, so it won't wait too much longer ;)