Release Readiness

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Mon Jan 16 18:06:55 UTC 2012

On Saturday 14 January 2012 Jan, Sven Langkamp wrote:

> Now we are at 129 bugs, 9 major and 18 crashes. I took a look at the major
> bugs that I thought should be fixed before the release:
>
> > 263170  maj     transform tool makes QImage copy of layer
>

> No idea about that. Lukas were you looking at that?
>

> > 273860  maj     Management of big images is still not fast and stable
> > enough.
> >

> This is a problem with the tile compression, which takes way to long. Using
> the legacy mode helps, but then the file size explodes. I tried rle
> compression which keeps the size down, but that wasn't better than the
> current performance.

Both these bugs were actually already major, and i don't think they are release blockers. The big images problem isn't actually about loading and saving big images, mainly it's about working with big images once they are loaded -- so I wanted to experiment with in-memory compression of tiles. But that probably needs some really fast compression code, faster than whatever we've tried up to now.

> > 284457  maj     Crashes on redoing right after undoing crop in opengl mode
> >

> Can't reproduce this one.

Dmitry is a long way towards a solution, but still needs to put the last part of the fix in place.

> > 288220  maj     eraser mode goes out of sync when changing brush
> >

> Can't reproduce this either.

Maybe this was fixed when I removed the per-input-device tool thing?

> > 289191  maj     filter preview broken for many filters
> >

> There is a problem with all the filter that don't support threading. These
> don't support filter mask, so the preview is broken. For now I suggest that
> we turn off the preview for all non-threadable filters.

Ack

> > 289289  maj     [layer-panel-GUI] blending mode label don't follow undo
> > history
> >

> Not sure if that's a regression or if that bug existed for some time.
> Couldn't find any signal for that.

I actually think that this is a back and forth thing: we made the layer blending mode undoable, then removed that as an action when we got user feedback that the blending mode like the visibility was cluttering the undo history and the undo wasn't useful.

> > 290058  maj     Filterop works like buildup
> >

> Either fix or turn off filterop.

Ack.

> > 290172  maj     Mask created from a vector selection cannot be edited
> > anymore
> >

> Once a shape selection is made all the tools will be locked.
>

> > 290937  maj     Text shapes dissappear on saving
> >

> Text shape is still there, but at a completely different place. Needs
> someone that know flake.

Very strange... This must be a regression.

> Beside that there are a few filter that are not working:
> -Bumpmap/Phong Bumpmap
> -Emboss
> -Oilpaint is so slow that pratically not useable
>
> Unless someone comes up with a fix, I suggest to disable these filter for
> the release.

Ack.