Release Readiness

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 03:08:41 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> Hi! Today we're releasing the _sixth_ beta... I forgot to push Giovanny's
> splash screen after committing it locally... But Boemann wants to have Yet
> Another Beta before Calligra can be released.
>
> For Krita, though, I think we've seen a big improvement over the Christmas
> holidays. We got rid of lcms1, even on Windows. Lukas fixed the scaling
> bug. Dmitry improved stability enormously. We are down to one critical bug,
> which I'm working on.
>
> However....
>

> === Unittests ===
>
> We had zero failures, then in November went back up to five. We still have
> five failures, with the Processing test being fixed and a new failure in
> the KisSelectionManagerTest. The rest have been broken since November.
>
> The following tests FAILED:
>         26 - krita-image-KisCloneLayerTest (Failed)
>         44 - krita-image-KisImageSignalRouterTest (Failed)
>         49 - krita-image-KisWalkersTest (Failed)
>         89 - krita-image-KisActionRecorderTest (Failed)
>        119 - krita-ui-KisSelectionManagerTest (Failed)
>

> === Bugs ===
>
> We have a total of 132 bugs now. Additionally, there are some
> calligra-wide bugs that are important for us as well, for instance Bug
> 284196 - calligra applications gets readonly if "parent"-calligra window is
> closed.
>
> One critical bug:
>
> 217292  cri     boud at valdyas.org        ASSI            Ability to paint
> transparency masks
>
> Sven changed the severity of the bugs that need to be fixed to release to
>> "major". We still need to go through that list, though.
>>

> Out of the 132 bugs, we have 10 major bugs and 18 crashes.

Now we are at 129 bugs, 9 major and 18 crashes. I took a look at the major
bugs that I thought should be fixed before the release:

> 263170  maj     transform tool makes QImage copy of layer

No idea about that. Lukas were you looking at that?

> 273860  maj     Management of big images is still not fast and stable
> enough.

This is a problem with the tile compression, which takes way to long. Using
the legacy mode helps, but then the file size explodes. I tried rle
compression which keeps the size down, but that wasn't better than the
current performance.

> 284457  maj     Crashes on redoing right after undoing crop in opengl mode

Can't reproduce this one.

> 288220  maj     eraser mode goes out of sync when changing brush

Can't reproduce this either.

> 289191  maj     filter preview broken for many filters

There is a problem with all the filter that don't support threading. These
don't support filter mask, so the preview is broken. For now I suggest that
we turn off the preview for all non-threadable filters.

> 289289  maj     [layer-panel-GUI] blending mode label don't follow undo
> history

Not sure if that's a regression or if that bug existed for some time.
Couldn't find any signal for that.

> 290058  maj     Filterop works like buildup

Either fix or turn off filterop.

> 290172  maj     Mask created from a vector selection cannot be edited
> anymore

Once a shape selection is made all the tools will be locked.

> 290937  maj     Text shapes dissappear on saving

Text shape is still there, but at a completely different place. Needs
someone that know flake.

Beside that there are a few filter that are not working:
-Bumpmap/Phong Bumpmap
-Emboss
-Oilpaint is so slow that pratically not useable

Unless someone comes up with a fix, I suggest to disable these filter for
the release.